Master of Science in Health Informatics
The Jacksonville University, Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences, Master of Science in Health Informatics (MSHI) degree prepares students for careers in health informatics through an interdisciplinary study of the design, development, adoption, and application of technology-based innovations to improve the planning, management and delivery of healthcare services.
Students and professionals seeking an MSHI degree will understand the dynamic relationship between people, information technology, healthcare services, and the healthcare system. They will also gain the knowledge and skills necessary to leverage information technology to improve healthcare delivery and outcomes.
The Master of Science in Health Informatics (MSHI) degree is offered via both an online format and a cohort format. The MSHI degree involves 11 courses (33 graduate credit hours), including either an internship or research work project experience.
If your organization is interested in hosting a ground-based cohort, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Admission into the MSHI program is conducted on a rolling basis. Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered for admission;
- Complete online application.
- Baccalaureate degree in any discipline from a regionally accredited institution with
a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applications not meeting this minimum GPA requirement may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis for conditional admission.
- The GRE is required*
- Students must submit an official copy of scores reflecting a total score of 900 or more on the combined verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE previous to August 1, 2011 or 290 combined score on the revised GRE exam taken after August 1, 2011.
- *The GRE requirement will be waived if a student has a 3.0 or higher undergraduate GPA.
- Official transcripts from the Baccalaureate degree granting college or university; unofficial transcripts from all other colleges and/or universities attended.
- Professional Resume.
- Personal statement, 1-2 pages in length.
- Three letters of recommendation; two of which should be professional references. References should be from a supervisor familiar with the student’s professional abilities and, if possible, an educator who taught the student.
- Unencumbered Background Check for students who select internship option.
- TOEFL if the applicant’s primary language is not English. Full details available in the catalog.
To obtain a Master of Science in Health Informatics, each student must complete 30 credit hours of graduate level coursework in addition to one three credit hour capstone option.
MSHI Core (30 credits)
- MSHI 500: Advanced Health Informatics I (3)
- MSHI 501: Advanced Coding and Classification (3)
- MSHI 502: Advanced Medical Terminology & HealthCare Classification (3)
- MSHI 503: Advanced CyberSecurity (3)
- MSHI 504: Advanced Systems Analysis (3)
- MSHI 505: Advanced Health Informatics II (3)
- MSHI 506: Advanced HealthCare Database Management (3)
- MSHI 525: Key Standards in the Health Care Industry (3)
- MSHI 526: Legal and Social Issues in Health Informatics (3)
- MSHI 528: Leadership in the Health Professionals (3)
In addition to the MSHI Core requirements, students must choose one of the options below to satisfy the capstone requirement. Students must complete a minimum of three (3) credit hours of capstone to satisfy the degree requirements.
- MSHI 527: Research Work Project Experience (3)
- MSHI: 590 Internship (3)
Total Credits for an MSHI degree: 33 credit hours
Students who do not have a medical background will be required to take a two-credit hour MSHI 201 Medical Terminology and Healthcare Essential prior to completing their third course in the program. Students who do not have evidence of completing an undergraduate course in statistics will be required to take MATH 205 Elementary Statistics prior to completing their third course in the program.
For tuition information, please visit the JU tuition page.
Brandy Gustavus, D.H.Sc., MSCPM, RHIA, CCA
Department Chair, Health Informatics Program
Email address email@example.com
Graduate Interdisciplinary Online Academic Advisor
Email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone number (904) 256-7946
Email address BRCHScohortprograms@ju.edu
Telephone number (904) 256-7296