Master of Science in Health Informatics
Prepare for a career in health informatics through an interdisciplinary study of the design, development, adoption, and application of technology-based innovations to improve the planning, management and delivery of healthcare services.
Students and professionals seeking an MSHI degree will understand the dynamic relationship between people, information technology, healthcare services, and the healthcare system. They will also gain the knowledge and skills necessary to leverage information technology to improve healthcare delivery and outcomes.
The Master of Science in Health Informatics (MSHI) degree is offered via both an online format and a cohort format. The MSHI degree involves 11 courses (33 graduate credit hours), including either an internship or research work project experience.
Students who elect and successfully complete the MSHI program may pursue professional certification and employment options in healthcare informatics. Information about Informatics Certifications can be found below:
- Certified Professional in Health Informatics (CHPI [AHIMA])
- Certified Health Data Analyst (CHDA [AHIMA])
- Certified Associate in Health Information Management Systems (CAHIMS [HIMSS])
- Certified Professional in Health Information Management Systems (CPHIMS [HIMSS])
For more information, please contact us via email at email@example.com.
Admission into the MSHI program within the School of Applied Health Sciences (SAHS) is selective and limited to those students who have demonstrated potential for successfully completing the program. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered for admission;
- Complete online application.
- Baccalaureate degree in any discipline from a regionally accredited institution.
- Official transcripts from the Baccalaureate degree granting college or university; unofficial transcripts from all other colleges and/or universities attended.
- Applicants with a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) with a 3.0, or higher, on a 4.0 scale will be fully admitted.
- Applicants with a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) with less than
3.0 on a 4.0 scale will be considered for conditional admission.
- The GRE may be required*
- Professional Resume.
- Personal statement, 1-2 pages in length.
- Two professional letters of recommendation.
- Unencumbered Background Check for students who select internship option.
- TOEFL if the applicant’s primary language is not English. Full details available in the catalog.
Now admitting for a summer start!
Classes begin April 29, 2019.
To obtain a Master of Science in Health Informatics, each student must complete 30 credit hours of graduate level coursework, in addition to one three credit hour capstone option for a total of 33 credit hours.
- MSHI 500: Advanced Health Informatics I (3)
- MSHI 501: Advanced Coding and Classification (3)
- MSHI 503: Advanced CyberSecurity (3)
- MSHI 504: Advanced Systems Analysis (3)
- MSHI 505: Advanced Health Informatics II (3)
- MSHI 506: Advanced HealthCare Database Management (3)
- MSHI 524: Epidemiology and Evidence-Based Health Informatics (3)
- MSHI 525: Key Standards in the Health Care Industry (3)
- MSHI 526: Legal and Social Issues in Health Informatics (3)
- MSHI 528: Leadership in the Health Professionals (3)
Finally, students must choose one of the options below to satisfy the capstone requirement. Students must complete a minimum of three (3) credit hours of capstone to satisfy the degree requirements.
- MSHI 527: Research Work Project Experience (3), or
- MSHI: 590 Internship (3)
Students who do not have a medical background will be required to take a two-credit hour MSHI 201 Medical Terminology and Healthcare Essential prior to completing their third course in the program. Students who do not have evidence of completing an undergraduate course in statistics will be required to take MATH 205 Elementary Statistics prior to completing their third course in the program.
For tuition information, please visit the JU tuition page.
Brandy Gustavus, D.H.Sc., MSCPM, RHIA, CCA
Department Chair, Health Informatics Program
- Email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone number (904) 256-7354
Interdisciplinary Program Coordinator
- Email address email@example.com
- Telephone number (904) 256-7296