Post-Graduate CertificatePsychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Why Choose Our Program?
Are you ready to take your nursing career to the next level? Jacksonville University's Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Post-Graduate Certificate (PGC) is designed to educate advanced practice nurses who can demonstrate critical thinking and decision-making skills in evaluating individuals and families living with mental health issues. Graduates will manage direct care of individuals experiencing acute and chronic mental health issues across the lifespan.
If you do not have a master's degree or would like to study Psychiatric Mental Health in greater depth, you may be interested in the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner degree program.
Virtual Information Session
Attendees will have the opportunity to meet the program director and advisor to ask questions about our curriculum and admissions process.
Wednesday, June 14, 2023
About Our Program
PMHNP students will attend courses on campus one day per week over the course of 5 semesters, unless they are already a Nurse Practitioner. In that case, the length of the program is shortened to 4 semesters. Students will begin the program in the fall (August). If a student is already a Nurse Practitioner, they will start during the spring term (January).
Students will be required to complete the following coursework:
- NUR 501 - Advanced Health Assessment
- NUR 502 - Advanced Pathophysiology
- NUR 504 - Advanced Pharmacology
- NUR 553 - Advanced Role Practicum for the Nurse Practitioner/NUR 555 - Advanced Practicum for Nurse Practitioner Specializations
- NUR 571 - Psychiatric Assessment, Diagnostics and Introduction to Psychopharmacology across the Lifespan for Mental Health Nurse Practitioners
- NUR 573 - Psychopharmacological Management of Patients Across the Lifespan with Mental Health Disorders
- NUR 574 - Neuroanatomy for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- NUR 579 Psychotherapy Across the Lifespan for Individuals, Families and Groups
Graduates are prepared for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner National Certification Exam through American Nurses Credentialing Center. After successful completion of the certification exam graduates are prepared to apply for licensure as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse in the state of Florida.
Graduate and Post-Grad Degree OptionsExplore Your Options
In addition to our Psychiatric Mental Health Mental Health Nurse Practitioner post-graduate certificate, we also offer other graduate and post-graduate program options.
Other certificate programs we offer at Jacksonville University include:
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- Clinical Nurse Educator
- Healthcare Quality and Safety (HQS)
- Nursing Informatics
If you are interested in studying beyond the graduate level, check out our Doctor of Nursing Practice program!
How to Apply
- Completed JU Application
- Unofficial Transcripts from Colleges & Universities with All Nursing Coursework &
- If the candidate attended a college or university abroad, an official NACES evaluation of that transcript is required. Choose the course-by-course evaluation with the GPA option.
- A minimum 3.0 undergraduate Nursing GPA on a 4.0 scale
- The following may be requested of students with a GPA of 3.0 or below
- GRE/GMAT scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Graduation from a CCNE, NLN, or ACEN accredited BSN program
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (if applying to a Nurse Practitioner track)
- Statement of Intent
- Virtual Interview
- Nursing License
- Out-of-state applicants must be eligible for endorsement in Florida
- International students must hold a current license from a U.S. state and be eligible for endorsement in Florida.
- All international students whose first language is not English are required to submit proof of their proficiency in English, by providing scores for either: IELTS or TOEFL. If submitting score reports, they must be sent directly to Jacksonville University from the testing institutions.
Request for Information
Contact Information Keigwin School of Nursing
Phone: (904) 256-7000