Master of Science Mental Health Counseling
Why Choose Our Program?
- CACREP accredited CMHC program with emphasis in Marriage and Family Counseling
- This program is offered at JU's Jacksonville campus and JU's Palm Coast site in Palm Coast, Fla.
- Hybrid format, cohort model that allows for self-paced and in-person classes once or twice per week
- Ideal for working professionals who want to create individual relationships with professors and peers
- Full-time, 2 year 60-credit-hour program
- Meets the educational requirements for State of Florida licensure as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
virtual Information Session
Join us for a virtual information session to learn more about the program, curriculum, and admissions process, and hear from faculty.
Tuesday, November 2, 2021
About Our Program
We are accredited through the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) under the 2016 standards. The JU CMHC accreditation is valid through October 2027, at which time an application for re-accreditation will be submitted. All JU CMHC program graduates have been recognized as having graduated from a CACREP accredited program.
JU worked with SACSCOC, our University and program's accrediting body, to complete the standard accreditation process for our Palm Coast location. We received approval in 2021.
State of Florida Course Requirements for Licensure
JU’s CMHC Core Curriculum has a specialization in clinical mental health counseling. It also offers a concentration in Couples, Marriage, and Family Counseling. This degree meets the academic requirements for licensure as designated in the Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling for both Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Marriage and Family Therapy.
Students are encouraged to review the state standards and guidelines and notify the faculty advisor of practice preference so that the appropriate site placement is secured for the practicum and internship.
- Standards for Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Standards for Marriage & Family Therapy
- View our Curriculum Summary
A hybrid style will be used for courses with class attendance once or twice a week. Students are also required to complete a rigorous 800 hour community-based clinical field experience as part of their academic training.
"Along with a rigorous curriculum, the CMHC counseling program at JU offers students unconditional support and guidance to a bright future. This experience has allowed me to build unforgettable relationships with colleagues and faculty, as well."
How to Apply
- Completed JU Application
- Unofficial Transcripts for All Degrees Conferred
- Statement of Intent
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- The following may be requested of students with a 3.0 GPA or below:
- GRE / GMAT Scores
When completing your application, please indicate your location preference. This program is offered at Jacksonville University's campus in Jacksonville, Fla. and at JU Palm Coast in Palm Coast, Fla.
Please note: Applications for the 2021-2022 academic year have closed. Applications will reopen on August 1, 2021 for admission to the Fall 2022 term.
Missing a course for Florida licensure?Non-Degree Seeking Students
Do you already have a master's degree but are missing courses to become licensed as a LMHC or LMFT in Florida? We offer hybrid and online courses such as Human Sexuality, Counseling in Community Settings, and Addictions Counseling for non-degree students. Contact Antonio Starke, Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with registration and to learn more about these courses. If you want to learn more about the Human Sexuality Course we are offering soon, you can fill out this form and we will send you information.
Contact InformationRequest for Information
Contact Information Clinical Mental Health Counseling
School of Applied Health Sciences
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Phone: (904) 256-7000