College of Arts & Sciences
Jacksonville University invites applications for an Instructor in Biology, beginning
August 2023. The
Department of Biology and Marine Science invites applications for a full-time instructor position to teach microbiology for health professionals. This position requires handling BSL-2 microorganisms, preparation of reagents and media, and acting as safety coordinator for all microbiology labs. A strong commitment to providing high-quality education with high levels of teacher/student interaction is required. Experience working in a BSL- 2 and handling of microorganisms is required, and in-person and remote teaching experiences are preferred. Willingness to teach evening course is a plus. Graduate degree required by time of appointment.
Essential Job Duties
- Must be able to teach Microbiology for Health Professionals. This course covers basic concepts of microbiology, with emphasis on medically important microorganisms and infectious diseases.
- Plan, organize, and deliver instruction in a laboratory setting to promote student success. Lab exercises focuses on aseptic techniques, isolation and culture of microorganism, microscopy and staining techniques, biochemical identification, and antibiotic susceptibility testing.
- Support and promote the University and departmental mission centered on teaching excellence and learning through hand-on education.
- Must participate in college and university service
- Willingness to teach evening course is a plus
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires the incumbent to exercise independence and discretion
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- A Master or Ph.D. degree by time of appointment in August 2023.
- Previous teaching experience in the area of Microbiology.
- In-person and remote teaching experiences are preferred.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Review of Applications will begin in October 2023 and will continue until the position is filling with an intended start of August 2023. Applicants need to send the following application files in a single PDF to email@example.com:
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Statement
- Unofficial Transcripts (Official transcripts will be needed before hiring)
- JU faculty application
- A list of three references, including their contact information