Department of Chemistry & Physics
Position Reports to (Position Title)
Chair, Department of Chemistry & Physics; Director, School of Sciences and Mathematics
The Chemistry Instructor will be responsible for teaching both lecturers and labs for Introductory Chemistry, General Chemistry and possibly Organic Chemistry courses. Some university service duty such as student advising and committee work is also expected.
Chemistry Instructor will perform all duties associated with teaching courses at college level including but not limited to:
- Providing lectures
- Supervising laboratories
- Leading class discussions
- Writing exams, grading exams, and providing feedback on any other assignments
- Providing prompt responses to student questions
- College teaching experience
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Time-management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks
- Strong background in chemical instrumentation and calculations are preferred
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
Candidates must have completed their Ph.D. in chemistry from an accredited institution, or a Master’s degree in chemistry (or closely related field) with at least 18 graduate credit hours earned in chemistry. Candidates with experience in innovative teaching of introductory chemistry and general chemistry are encouraged to apply. Organic chemistry teaching experience would be a bonus.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Must be able to lift/carry equipment up to around 30 lbs.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
- Adequate verbal skills to project to a classroom
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a copy of their resume, cover letter, transcripts, and list of references along with a completed JU Application to Peter Zhao at firstname.lastname@example.org.