Assistant Professor of Film
Assistant Professor of Film
Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts (LBS CFA) Department of Media Arts (MART)
Full Time/Tenure Track
The Department of Media Arts, in the Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts at Jacksonville University, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Film beginning August 2022. The Department seeks a cinematographer with an investment in teaching and a strong record of professional practice. Candidates should demonstrate readiness to teach all technical and creative aspects of digital cinematography, still photography, and should have a background in the grip and electric department. Candidates should also be well versed in film history and theoretical studies, and have a primary approach driven by Cinematographic perspectives. As an institution committed to equity and inclusion, we seek candidates who embody and express these values in all aspects of their courses and pedagogy. Service to the institution, college, and department is expected.
The candidate should have prior demonstrated excellence in instructional experience at the undergraduate level, should be fully dedicated to university-level teaching, and show a record of creative work as demonstrated by screenings in cinema houses, festivals, museums, television, or other related venues. The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to engage productively with students at all skill levels, as well as an eagerness to nurture a vital role for film production within the context of a liberal arts university in a program that explicitly centers collaboration as a value. Additional experience in running an equipment room or film festival is highly desirable.
Essential Job Duties
- Develop and teach courses (usually 3-4 course load) in the areas of Film/Photography at all levels of the undergraduate program with a global and contemporary approach to teaching
- Develop syllabi with documented learning objectives and assessment criteria
- Hold regular course and office hours
- Advise students at the undergraduate level
- Participate in recruitment activities and actively recruit students for the program
- Participate in campus professional activities which include, but are not limited to, development of course curriculums and new instructional approaches, thesis committee memberships, learning outcomes assessment, staff meetings and community outreach
- Continually assess programs for learning effectiveness, working with the division chair to make changes through relevant committees if necessary
- Establish and supervise internships and independent studies
- Mentor students in the development of their Senior Theses
- Aid students in developing highly competitive job portfolios
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings or teaching outdoor concepts/skills
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate business machines and film equipment
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- MFA or PHD in Film or closely related field
Minimum Work Experience
- 2 years of full-time teaching experience as a university-level instructor of media production
- Professional industry work experience and/or a body of juried film festival or broadcast exhibition of one's creative work
Candidates should design their CV to address these minimum requirements clearly.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching philosophy outlining one’s pedagogical approach
- List of Instructor of Record courses (sample course syllabi optional)
- Examples of student work
- Examples of personal work
- Names and contact information for 3 references
Materials should be submitted to Alex Willemin.
For complete information about the division and university, please visit http://www.ju.edu. Application review begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Applications will not be considered for review after 1/15/2022. Jacksonville University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.