Student Health Center
The JU Student Health Center Registered Nurse position is a 10-month (August 1-May 31) full-time exempt position. This individual will work closely with JU SHC providers to offer preventative health screenings as well as provide treatment and education for common medical issues. This individual will support SHC providers and other clinical staff by preparing treatment rooms, rooming patients, taking vital signs, providing patient education, and assisting providers with medical procedures. The RN will be responsible for oversight of the laboratory and support clinical staff by performing all rapid testing, phlebotomy, and documentation of related results.
Essential Job Duties
- Provide nursing triage/intake, assessment, and documentation.
- Assist providers as needed with procedures and testing.
- Administer vaccines, TB testing, medications, and treatments as recommended by a SHC provider.
- Perform all rapid testing and blood draws.
- Prepare specimens for outsourced laboratory pick-up.
- Assist in administering COVID-19 testing and associated administrative tasks.
- Perform EKGs, nebulizer treatments, spirometry, suture removal, etc. as recommended by a SHC provider.
- Provide allergy injections and maintain documentation.
- Provide patient information and instructions regarding preventive health, healthy practices, and self-care.
- Accurately document and utilize forms in the electronic medical record.
- Schedule appointments and/or referrals as needed; engage in providing telephone consultation and triage.
- Assist patients with navigating insurance related issues.
- Assist with the coordination of medical services for patients with COVID-19.
- Work in collaboration with the Department of Health to fulfill any communicable disease reporting requirements.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director of the SHC.
- Proven skill in providing nursing assessment and treatment according to accepted nursing standards and written protocols in an outpatient primary care type facility.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of University records and medical information.
- Proficiency to perform phlebotomy, intravenous procedures, collect urine, and throat swab specimens.
- Knowledge of procedures and standards for administration of medications.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, strong interpersonal skills.
- Skill in responding to telephone inquiries, scheduling, record management, supply and equipment maintenance, and inventory.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
- Ability to make decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Ability to work collaboratively with SHC staff and other University personnel.
- Ability to document accurately and timely using the electronic medical record.
- Excellent clinical assessment skills with ability to accurately document and report the evaluation.
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills with the ability to provide independent judgment with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply fundamental concepts related to HIPPA/FERPA regulations and privacy practices.
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills with the ability to provide independent judgment with minimal
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply fundamental concepts related to HIPPAIFERPA regulations and privacy practices.
- Work is primarily indoors but requires incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings or engaging in relevant outreach activities.
- Standard office hours are M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with June and July off.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment or supplies weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person or by phone.
- Must be able to show proof of immunization against Hepatitis B and MMR.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Licensed as a registered nurse in the State of Florida.
- CPR/AED Certified.
Minimum Work Experience
- 3 years of professional experience as a nurse in primary care or a Student Health Care setting.
- IV/Venipuncture experience.
- Laboratory equipment and medical diagnostic tools experience.
- Computer experience and proficient in using an Electronic Medical Record System.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse student groups.
- Successfully pass a background check.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
All Jacksonville University employees who work on campus must be vaccinated for COVID-19. Documentation will be requested during onboarding. Our full vaccination policy is available online.
Qualified and interested applicants, send application materials to Dr. Elaine Borne at email@example.com.