This position is no longer available.
The individual will focus on Traditional Undergraduate and assist in the Adult Programs. This position is expected to assist Jacksonville University in the achievement of its vision and mission, with regular communication with students, faculty advisors, and related campus administrators regarding the academic progress and special needs of students.
Essential Job Duties
- Promote interaction with all Jacksonville University students; assist with course scheduling and career planning.
- Advise and work with all students on their required Core and Major courses.
- Evaluate transfer credits by creating a Transfer Equivalency Report for potential and prospective undergraduate candidates.
- Update deposit lists on a regular basis during registration periods and maintain the Advising New Student database.
- Work with Academic Departments to update the faculty advisor list; this should be done throughout the year and prior to the start of new student registration.
- Assign new faculty advisors to students who change their majors. Communicate that the change has been processed to the student, the old faculty advisor and the new faculty advisor.
- Monitor academic progress and provide accurate information about educational requirements and procedures.
- Adjust working hours to meet the needs of students during fall and spring registration periods.
- Refer students to other appropriate campus resources, serve as a liaison between faculty and students, and act as an advocate for the student.
- Work with the math department to determine math placement of all students and math placement exam results. Coordinate with Office Associate to ensure that student math scores are entered regularly in Datatel.
- Establish relationships with all incoming and continuing students/interact daily with students assisting with course scheduling requirements and planning.
- Maintain student files and academic progress using check sheets in unison with Degree Audit.
- Answer student phone call and email correspondence and questions/answers in a timely fashion.
- Provide accurate reports on program assessment, retention, Academic Intervention Forms (AIF), mid-term and final grades, etc. to the Director of Academic Advising as requested.
- Attend orientation information sessions, assisting in preparation and recruiting activities, as requested by the Director of Academic Advising.
- Represent the Academic Advising Center and Jacksonville University in a professional manner to all constituencies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Academic Advising.
- Character: The Academic Advisor will be a person of character and integrity who will represent the University in a professional manner at all times.
- Welcoming: The Academic Advisor will have the ability to respond to all students in a timely and welcoming manner, as well as any persons accompanying incoming and returning students for their advising appointments or any general advising questions they may have.
- Commitment: The Academic Advisor will be dedicated to the mission of the Academic Advising Center with regard to the support of the entire student population, and will do so with timely, professional responses to questions and concerns, and a willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of department.
- This position reports directly to the Director of Academic Advising. Some evenings and weekends will be required.
- Must be able to life and car equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read communication and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
Prerequisites Required for Position
- Outgoing, engaging personality; someone who enjoys meeting new people
- Collaborative in nature, team-oriented
- Able to multi-task with a high degree of accurac
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree
Minimum Work Experience
- 1 year or more experience in an academic environment
- Strong technological application skills required, especially in Excel, Outlook, and Word
- Familiarity with student admissions and enrollment environment is desirable
- Very strong professional communication skills: verbal and written
- Very strong organizational skills
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants should submit letter of interest emphasizing experience and potential, a curriculum vitae, JU staff employment application https://www.ju.edu/humanresources/docs/staff-application.pdf, three letters of reference, via electronic email to: Roderick Jungbauer @ firstname.lastname@example.org