Cyber Defense Trainer
Cyber Defense Trainer
Davis College of Business
The School of Engineering and Technology in the Davis College of Business at Jacksonville
University invites applications for a full-time Cyber Defense Trainer that will serve
as Director of the Jacksonville University Cyber Range and Instructor of Cybersecurity
to start in the Fall of 2022 or Spring 2023.
The individual hired for this position will be responsible for the activities of the new Jacksonville University Cyber Range, whose mission is to deliver an integrated approach to cybersecurity student education for workforce development as well as industry training. This mission is accomplished through a multipronged approach that includes:
- Support of college course curriculum
- Provision of employee training and development opportunities for industry clients
- Building opportunities for adult learners to train and repurpose in cybersecurity
- Providing virtual and/or physical lab environments for K12 engagement
Essential Job Duties
- Support the university student body.
- Set up the virtual and physical cybersecurity lab environments
- Build relationships with multiple stakeholders, including students, industry clients and potential clients.
- Market the capabilities of the cybersecurity lab environment for training and development purposes to build a client base.
- Consult with clients to develop learning objectives and training approach based on training needs for continuous monitoring and incident response.
- Research, analyze, design, develop, and customize instructional materials to potentially support WBT (Web-Based Training)/CBT (Computer-Based Training)/ILT (Instructor- Led Training).
- Design and develop training objectives, curricula, instructor guides, student guides, job aids, course outlines, and other course materials.
- Apply various instructional strategies, models, and theories to develop learning content to enhance learning transfer and greater on-the-job performance.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to ensure impactful, relevant course content.
- Deliver training to various groups based on training needs assessment and best practices in teaching and learning
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and scientific equipment
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
- The preferred candidate should have a master’s degree in cybersecurity or a closely related field.
- Individuals with a bachelor’s level degree and significant experience will be considered. Prior teaching or training experience with cybersecurity tools, especially on a cyber range platform, is required with industry experience preferred.
- The individual selected for this position will maintain a reduced teaching load of cybersecurity and computer science courses.
Minimum Work Experience
- Cyber security experience with an emphasis on cybersecurity training/development and experience with cyber defense analysis and system recovery is required. Strong background/familiarity with Windows and Linux system administration, networking, traffic analysis is required. The successful candidate will be expected to collaborate with colleagues in the department, college, campus, as well as professional community and organizations.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
The review of applications will continue until filled. Interested candidates should submit: cover letter, a curriculum vitae, copy of university transcripts, recent teaching evaluations (if applicable), names and contact information for at least three (3) professional references, and a completed Jacksonville University Faculty Application. All materials should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.