Classroom Technology Support
Classroom Technology Support
Academic Technology Department
This position will provide technical support for Jacksonville University's classroom technology; inclusive of computer labs, classroom instructor workstations, large venues, audio/visual equipment, integrated software and other facilities featuring audio and video conferencing systems. A successful candidate will have the necessary skills to investigate, troubleshoot, test, recommend, and integrate new technologies for university use. A major component of this position will require the individual to deploy new equipment or software in learning and meeting spaces on a regular maintenance schedule. Additional responsibilities include providing training for classroom technology.
Essential Job Duties
- Provide excellent customer service to faculty and staff in response to reported issues
- Troubleshoot, analyze, and resolve technical problems in classrooms and computer labs (problems may be related to, but are not limited to projectors, A/V switcher/controllers, document cameras, computers, printers, etc.)
- Check and test computer and audio-visual equipment to ensure proper functionality
- Assist in the installation of classroom equipment
- Perform troubleshooting, maintenance and basic repairs of classroom instructor workstations, A/V equipment in classrooms, conference rooms, and large venue areas.
- Recommends replacement and upgrades to equipment and software as necessary.
- Configure and deploy software to workstations as directed.
- Log service requests, document troubleshooting steps, and problem resolution details in ticket system.
- Contribute knowledgebase articles as appropriate.
- Monitor and support operation of video and audio-conferencing systems in classrooms and conference rooms.
- Monitor and track classroom technology assets
- Assist faculty, staff, and students over the phone and in person with classroom technology.
- Provide training and support to the JU community on the use of classroom and conference room technology
- Experience related to technical end-user support services.
- Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service, cooperation, and team working skills/abilities
- Possess a core understanding of common video signals.
- Possess a core understanding of audio signal flow.
- Experience with common instructional technology equipment e.g. document cameras, presentation remotes, pen displays, projectors, video conference technology.
- Basic familiarity with professionally installed audio visual systems. (Experience with AMX, Crestron, or Extron hardware and control systems is a plus.)
- Possess basic Windows PC and Apple troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to make minor repairs on classroom and conference room technology.
- Ability to work independently under minimal guidance.
- Ability to communicate well with others, both verbally and in writing, and be able to effectively interact with administration, faculty, staff and other outside contacts in a pleasant, positive manner.
- Ability to measure and report on metrics and indicators of service level activity and customer satisfaction.
- Possess and demonstrate capacity for problem determination and resolution, specifically related to problems of a technical nature.
- Possess and demonstrate high attention to detail and ability to prioritize competing tasks and responsibilities.
- Standard office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Monday through Friday, with occasional required evening and weekend hours, as necessary to accommodate professors’ needs or special events on campus, during the year.
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings or being off-campus.
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones and office machines
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to bend, stoop and reach
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- High School degree
Minimum Work Experience
- Minimum three (3) years of related experience, preferably in higher education.
- Associate degree or two (2) years post-secondary technical school training in an audiovisual degree program.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.