Audio Visual Events Technician
Audio Visual Events Technician
Office of Strategic Events and Campus Experience
Reporting to the University Scheduler within the office of Strategic Events and Campus Experience, the Audio Visual Events Technician manages and oversees delivery of the on-site AV support for events across Jacksonville University.
The AV Event Technician will assist students, faculty, and staff in determining and delivering AV needs, ensuring that their special events are successful. They will provide consulting and/or assistance for specific events and strategic initiatives that are deemed critical for University success. The AV Technician will further strategic change by leading with our service-oriented vision.
The AV Technician will require a high degree of client engagement with excellent facilitation, influence, and strategic consulting skills. They must work well in a collaborative team and have exceptional attention to all details—small and large.
Essential Job Duties
All duties are expected to be delivered punctually at scheduled times and in accordance with agreed upon solutions. The AV Technician is expected to oversee all pre-event planning, resource scheduling, live event management and post event debrief. They will be responsible for set up and break down of AV equipment, onsite management at top tier events, quality control and management of any outsourced vendors for AV needs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Client Management – building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders across campus and external rental clients
- Identify areas of potential technological/operational improvements and consult with the relevant stakeholders
- Assist with live transmissions of hybrid, virtual and in-person events
- Provide technical support to specialized production companies during events when outsourced
- Operate audio and visual equipment with the aim to provide high quality stand services for events
- Video/audio equipment set up and support
- Ensure all multi-media/presentation event spaces are in good working order prior to a scheduled event
- Quick response to emergency requests
- Possess a core understanding of audio signal flow.
- Possess a core understanding of common video signals and cables.
- Experience with sound mixers, amplifiers, speakers, and microphones.
- Experience with common instructional & presentation technology equipment e.g., document cameras, presentation remotes, projectors, video displays, video conferencing software.
- Basic familiarity with professionally installed audio-visual systems. (Experience with AMX, Crestron, or Extron hardware and control systems is a plus.)
- Possess basic Windows PC and Apple troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to perform minor repairs on classroom and conference room technology.
- Understand the standards of live event production and be able to specify the appropriate equipment for the particular event.
- Possess high quality communication skills
- Has a positive attitude toward helping others and problem solving
- Is of calm temperament and capable of displaying a composed demeanor when working under pressure
- Willingness to learn and to demonstrate ability to progress with technological advances
- Is a team player yet self-motivated and capable of working alone
- Manages time well and capable of organizing their own workload to meet and exceed deadlines
- Must be punctual
- Enthusiasm to task and role
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighting up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to bend, stoop and reach
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Associate degree or two (2) years post-secondary technical school training in an audio-visual degree program.
Minimum Work Experience
- Minimum five (5) years of related experience, preferably in higher education.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
All Jacksonville University employees who work on campus must be vaccinated for COVID-19. Documentation will be requested during onboarding. Our full vaccination policy is available online.