This position is no longer available.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Financial Management and Controller (“AVP”), the Assistant Controller will be responsible for providing leadership to the Jacksonville University (“University”) Accounting Team and financial operations, compliance, reporting functions of the Financial Management division, and for maintaining a strong financial and internal control environment. The incumbent will oversee the accounting functions that include general accounting operations and internal/external financial reporting and tax reporting and supporting analyses. The incumbent will develop and maintain all departmental policies and procedures. Also monitors reconciliations, performs technical accounting research and ensures compliance with new and proposed accounting and standards and financial reporting policies applicable to the Authority. The incumbent will provide highquality service and solutions and will support the success of the University and its stakeholders by safeguarding institutional resources, providing data for decision making, and for implementing various operational and service-oriented enhancements.
Essential Job Duties
- Assist AVP to formulate department goals and objectives, sets priorities and evaluate staff performance.
- In AVP’s absence, will assume AVP’s responsibilities where necessary.
- Provide leadership to employees assigned to the Disbursements Team to include, but not limited to, coaching, staff development, evaluations, managing workflows, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Organizes staff to meet all campus business demands and assesses the level of service offered the campus community to maximize affordability and accountability through partnership and teamwork.
- Implements systems, procedures, processes, and innovative approaches that promote
assure quality improvement.
- Manage the audit and tax functions of the financial management division, to include, but not limited to, serving as the operational liaison to the audit firm, ensuring the completion of all tax documents and reports, providing audit and tax updates to the AVP of Financial Management and Controller and team members, and assisting with supervising the fulfillment of all external audit requests.
- Administer the compliance functions of the financial management division to include, but not limited to, compliance with federal and state laws, internal policies, NCAA regulations, accounting guidelines, and audit recommendations.
- Ensure proper segregation of duties throughout the University by monitoring position responsibilities, reviewing system access, monitoring workflows, reviewing reports, and by recommending improvements and enhancements to segregation of duties. Reports all concerns to the AVP and ensures the implementation of proper actions to correct segregation of duties concerns.
- Supervise the reporting function of the financial management division to include, but not limited to, developing, and administering reports, providing reports upon requests, interpreting data, identifying trends, and developing data summaries and narratives.
- Manage the monthly and fiscal year-end close processes in consultation with the AVP of Financial Management and Controller. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, supervising, and coordinating all close processes and assignments, generating, and compiling monthly and year-end reports, ensuring the proper completion and approvals of journal entries, account reconciliations and other work within the general ledger.
- Administer the University’s Chart of Accounts to include, but not limited to, recommending, and implementing improvements to the Chart of Accounts, ensuring an efficient and understandable system, and providing access.
- Serve as the financial liaison to the athletics, IT, and student financial services departments. Provide superior customer service and business support to these departments to include, but not limited to, ensuring compliance, providing advice, and meeting with various departmental employees. Coordinate financial and system projects with the IT department.
- Provide independent analysis of financial data and prepare financial documents and reports for internal and external purposes.
- Manage business operations to ensure compliance with University’s policies and procedures and serves as an advisor in developing financial and resource plans consistent with University’s policies and the strategic plan.
- Administer the access control function of the financial system to include, but not limited to, responding to access requests, providing system access when appropriate, removing access when appropriate, and monitoring access reports on a regular basis.
- Review, recommend, implement, and monitor all financial policies for the University to include, but not limited to, updating policies to respond to the changing needs of the institution, providing policy trainings and updates, and administering processes to ensure financial transactions comply with policies, procedures, and laws.
- Manage various operational and customer service functions within the financial management division to include, but not limited to, supporting special projects and service enhancements.
- Supervise assigned personnel to include, but not limited to, coaching employees, supporting employee success, assigning responsibilities, assessing performance, providing constructive feedback, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP) for not-forprofit activities in a higher education environment.
- Ability to perform technical accounting research and analysis, and clearly document and communicate alternatives and conclusions.
- Supervisory experience a plus.
- This position requires a high degree of professionalism and an ability to interact with a variety of entities and individuals.
- While limited physical exertion is involved, considerable mental and emotional pressures exist.
- The ability to coordinate a variety of tasks simultaneously and handle tension and stress in a positive manner is required.
- Ability to generate and analyze complex reports.
- Ability to work collaboratively to enhance the University’s reputation for excellence through best practices, reviews, accountability for performance and continuous improvement.
- Evening/weekend work may be required.
- Detail oriented and strong analytical ability.
- Strong sense of time management and organization skills.
- Experience with enterprise (ERP) systems, with a preference for previous experience with Ellucian’s Datatel-Colleague system, and Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced functions in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion
- Ability to work in an office environment with extensive use of computer and telephone and to lift and carry up to twenty pounds, and ability to read, write, handle and process paper documents.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Education, Certificates, Licenses, and Experience:
- 10+ years of progressively responsible accounting and finance experience in a non-profit
university that includes management experience.
- A Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration is required.
- Ability to manage people and processes as well as perform analysis and tasks independently as required.
- Keen analytic and organizational skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills with an initiative-taking approach to devising and implementing improvements to financial operations and reporting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, and external partners; ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and nonfinance managers.
- Expertise with enterprise (ERP) systems, with a preference for previous experience with Ellucian’s Datatel-Colleague system, Microsoft D365, or other ERP systems.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Covid Vaccination Information: Faculty and Staff
All Jacksonville University employees who work at any JU facility must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
For more information regarding the JU vaccination policy, please click the link below.JU Vaccination Policy
Interested applicants are asked to submit a copy of their resume along with a completed JU Application to Ron Bambacus at firstname.lastname@example.org.