Frequently Asked Questions Law Library and Resource Center

General Questions

Who can borrow materials from the Library?

Current JU College of Law students, faculty, and staff have borrowing privileges.

How do I borrow and renew materials?

To borrow items from the Law Library, bring your items to the law librarian and provide your Dolphin Card (a.k.a. your JU ID). You may renew items in person or online. (Please be aware that some items are not available for renewal - see our Policies, for more information.) Access your library account to renew items online. For more information, please contact us.

What do I do if the Library does not have the materials I need?

The Library's Interlibrary Loan (ILL) department can assist you with access to items not owned by the Library. ILL service provides JU students, faculty, and staff with several options for locating and requesting library materials from other institutions. For more information, see Interlibrary Loan or e-mail the ILL department.

Can I work in the Library?

Open job postings can be found through Student Financial Services.

Does the Library take book donations?

Yes. If it is a law related resource, please see the law librarian, otherwise please click below.

Learn more about our donation policies and how to donate.


Library Spaces

Where are the books?

The law library’s print collection is physically housed at the College of Law and electronically through subscription databases. For assistance locating an item, see the law librarian.

Can I reserve a study room?

Yes, the Swisher Library at the Arlington location has study rooms that are available on a first come, first served basis. Reservations are not available at this time.

Can I eat and drink in the Library?

Since there are designated spaces for food and drink, we ask that you do not eat in the study rooms as to not disturb your classmates with noises and smells associated with food. Drinks are allowed as long as they have a lid.



How do I print?

Use the printer located outside of Classroom 18-022 to print. Students must use Dolphin Dollars to pay for prints.

How do I connect to the campus wireless network?

JU's Information Technology department has instructions on how to connect to the campus wireless network.

I'm having issues access Blackboard. What do I do?

Call Blackboard's 24/7 technical support at 1-844-348-1615

Accreditation Information

Consistent with accreditation protocol dictated by the American Bar Association (ABA), the Jacksonville University College of Law began the accreditation process in the spring of 2023. Our goal and highest priority is to achieve provisional accreditation by the time our first class of students graduates. The College of Law is not currently approved by the American Bar Association (Council of the American Bar Association Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar, 321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654, 312-988-6738) and makes no representation to any applicant that it will receive approval from the Council before the graduation of any matriculating student.

Jacksonville University
General Counsel
2800 University Blvd N, Jacksonville, FL 32211