Student Employment: Important Information

Job Postings

Job Postings - Handshake

University and Federal Work Study Information

There are two types of student employment on campus: University student employment and Federal Work Study (federally subsidized, need-based financial aid). This section is regarding university and international student workers. Both types require the student to be enrolled at least half-time.

University Student Employment

A University student employee is a student that was not awarded a Federal Work Study award as part of their financial aid package. University student employee is available to students who do not demonstrate financial need based on the FAFSA form. Student earnings from University student employment come directly from each departmental budgets within the university. Some departments may be allocated funds within their operating budgets for student employment. The hiring and reporting procedures follow the same guidelines established for Federal Work Study student employment with the exception of international students. International students should see the Student Employment Coordinator for further assistance

Federal Work-Study Employment

Federal work-study is a program funded by both the federal government and Jacksonville University that provides part-time employment to undergraduate students who have significant financial need. Eligible students have an opportunity to earn money to help with educational expenses while gaining valuable professional experience in University or community service jobs.

2023-24 Student Employment Sueprvisor Handbook

Student Handbook

Required Employment Forms

New FWS student employees are required to complete the following employment forms PRIOR to working. These forms must be submitted to the Student Employment Coordinator, and as indicated by any stated deadline. Students will be notified by e-mail of the deadline for these forms.

1. Form I-9: Employment Eligibility Verification

Federal regulation requires that all employees provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Prior to working, students MUST bring in original identification documentation as required by the Form I-9. Page four of the Form I-9 must be completed in-person by the student, not by a parent. This completed page must also be accompanied by one or more of the acceptable forms of original identification. Copies of any form of identification will NOT be accepted as this is a federal regulation.

Download the I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Acceptable forms of ORIGINAL identification can include*:

  1. U.S. Passport (expired is permitted)
  2. Social Security card AND driver's license
  3. Social Security card AND state ID card
  4. Birth Certificate AND driver's license
    * See page 4 of the Form I-9 for more examples of acceptable identification.

2. Form W4: Federal Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate

All employees in the United States must complete a federal tax withholding form. Download, print and submit the Federal W-4.

3. Student Statement of Confidentiality & Responsibility

All employees of Jacksonville University and of the federal government must understand and adhere to all policies related to privacy, confidentiality and responsibility in any FWS job on/off campus. Download, print and submit

4. Student Expectations form

All employees of Jacksonville University must understand the expectations of the respected department and University to adhere to all policies as a representative of Jacksonville University.

Direct Deposit

It is strongly recommended that students sign up to have student employment paychecks automatically deposited into a checking and/or savings account through the University's direct deposit system. Students must log in to selfservice and enter thier Direct Deposit Information. 

Forms 2024-2025

All of the forms below must be completed and submitted to the Student Employment Coordinator. Select the applicable hyperlink to obtain the form(s) below. The W-4 form and the I-9 Form will need to have a hand signed signature to be accepted by the Financial Aid Office. A termination form needs to be completed and submitted to the Student Employment Coordinator once an employee is no longer working under that respected position.

If a student has worked on campus before, they only have to fill out the ATW/SRC/SEE and W4. However, if this is a student's first time working on campus they will need to fill out the ATW/SRC/SEE, W4, I9, and will need a copy of their Driver's license and social security card.

Other Important Student Employment Forms

2024-25 Student Payroll Schedule

2023-24 Student Payroll Schedule

2024-25 Student Payroll Schedule

Please be sure to follow this schedule in order to be paid on time. Contact Donna Bratcher, Student Employment Coordinator, with any questions or concerns at 904-256-7194 or email at

**Self Service - Web Time**


 Instructions - Time Entry by Students

Instructions - Supervisors Time Entry Approval

Back to top.

International Student Information

Learn more about the procedures for gaining employment at JU as an international student.

Back to top.

Student Employment Training Sessions

This PowerPoint is required viewing: Student Employment Orientation. It is an overview of JU's Student Employment program.

Back to top.

Community Service Agency Information

Community agencies interested in Jacksonville University’s Federal Work-Study program should contact the Student Employment Coordinator, Donna Bratcher, at  

Frequently Asked Questions


Who is eligible for federal work-study?

Undergraduate, full-time students with significant financial need, as outlined in federal and institutional awarding policies may be eligible for federal work-study (FWS). Eligible students are notified in a financial aid award letter from the Office of Financial Aid, either in late March or early April to first year students or in late May to returning students (e-mail only).

Eligibility is calculated using the results from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and in combination with institutional guidelines. FWS awards, similar to all other financial aid sources, are NOT guaranteed from one year to the next. Students interested in FWS eligibility should:

  1. Meet all application deadlines and submit required documents by Office of Financial Aid.
  2. Receive a final award notification of an approved FWS award (when eligible).
  3. Submit all required employment forms by stated deadline.

*Graduate, Continuing Studies students and students who are participating in Faculty/Staff Benefits typically do not receive FWS awards due to limited federal and institutional funding. Graduate students can apply for University graduate assistantships to assist with college expenses and Continuing Studies students can discuss job options with the Career Development Center.

What jobs are available for students who do NOT qualify for FWS?
Due to the limited departmental University funding, there are few on-campus offices and facilities who hire nonfederal work-study students. Students can visit the employment opportunities here for nonfederal work-study jobs. Please see below about University Student Employment. Students can also contact the Student Employment Coordinator for information on part-time employment.


What types of jobs are available?
Federal work-study jobs can be in areas of office administration, research, athletics, lifeguard, mentoring, tutoring, science lab, community service, media, theatre, and many others. There are on-campus University jobs and off-campus community service agencies that provide employment. Off-campus community jobs are naturally associated with private, non-profit organizations, community service or public agencies, where the work performed is in the public interest.
How do students search for jobs?
Students have both the opportunity AND responsibility of finding and securing a FWS job. All available Job Listings for the upcoming academic year are posted on-line. Students should begin the job search as early in the summer as possible and secure a job either before classes begin or within the first two weeks of the semester. Many students will be applying to the same jobs and both the interviewing and hiring processes can be very timely.

Applications & Hiring

What is the FWS job application process?
  • Search Federal Work Study Job Opportunities.
  • Contact designated supervisor for interview.
  • Students may be contacted for interviews and/or offered job(s). The interview and hiring processes can take time and requires patience and persistence.
  • Students should plan to secure employment by a given deadline from the Student Employment Coordinator. It is strongly recommended that students accept ONE job that best fits their skills, schedule and other responsibilities.

Students are hired on a first-come, first-serve basis, depending on job availability and supervisor demands. The Student Employment Coordinator will be available for assistance with any student if they are experiencing difficulty during the job search or application process.

How are students hired?
All documents requiring a signature from the appointed supervisor must be submitted to the Student Employment Coordinator via, email, in person, or interoffice mail. When students are officially hired, both students and supervisors will receive the Job Confirmation E-mail. Students are NOT permitted to begin work until they have received an approved Job Confirmation E-mail. This e-mail is a notification that all documents have been received.
When can students start working?
Students can begin working only AFTER receiving an approved Job Confirmation E-mail from the Student Employment Coordinator. Students begin work when school begins in the fall semester and/or their respected start of their academic progress.
How do students change jobs?
If an approved FWS Job Confirmation E-mail is processed, but a student is no longer interested in the job at that time, the student should notify the hiring supervisor and the Student Employment Coordinator in writing, to decline the job. If, after a student begins work, he/she decides the job is not a good fit, the student must notify both the supervisor and the Student Employment Coordinator (also in writing) to request a FWS employment status change. Depending on the time of year the student decides to switch jobs, there may or may not be an ample selection of available jobs.

Also in this section…

Make a Payment

Related Links


Financial Services

Office location

Howard Administration Building
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211

Office hours

Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Telephone number

(904) 256-7060
Financial Services

(904) 256-7080
Student Accounts

Email address
Financial Services
Student Accounts