Moderator, MS Medical Sciences
Moderator, MS Medical Sciences
Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences, School of Applied Sciences
Position Reports to (Position Title)
MSMS Program Coordinator
Oversees the quality of student learning experience, ensuring that program expectations concerning student experience and student engagement are met.
The MSMS Moderator is a critical member of the teaching & learning process for the Masters in Medical Science (MSMS). This person supports students in the classroom in multiple functions described below.
- Setup & support the Classroom for In-Class Sessions (ICS)
- Setup Zoom conference and audio / visual equipment
- Solve Zoom and/or AV equipment issues, e.g., technical troubleshooting skills
- Facilitate Dynamic Classroom learning methodology
- Assist students with using iClicker, Canvas LMS, and other ed tech platforms
- Assist in organizing and moderating Small Group Discussions based on Instructor’s
- Collect / aggregate student questions
- During ICS, help students ask questions to the Instructor on Zoom
- Before & After ICS, listen to students’ questions, issues, & concerns and then communicate the questions back to the Tiber/PHSU Instructor and TA
- Meet with and provide actionable intelligence to Partner Program Coordinator
- Working with Tiber/PHSU TA to monitor student progress & identify students atrisk
- Update the Program Coordinator on weekly basis with at-risk students & intervention / remediation steps being taken
- Support / proctor exams
- Support students during exams by helping with Examplify installation and issues
- Communicate and troubleshooting exam administration issues with Tiber/PHSU staff
- Provide tutoring to students in science
- Meet with students to clarify and review concepts taught in class, explain processes and help students solve specific problems
- Assist students with homework, projects, test preparation, paper, research, and other academic tasks
- Communicate with Tiber/PHSU Instructor & TA
- Serve as a conduit for students to convey their feedback to Tiber/PHSU faculty & staff
- Alert Tiber/PHSU faculty & staff about student issues as soon as they are known, then help to resolve the issues.
- Performs related duties as required or directed
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team
- Clear, correct, and effective communication using the English language.
- Ability to use discretionary judgment
- Excellent computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft word, office suite; Ability to learn new technologies and software programs
- Valid FL Driver’s License with good driving record; must be insurable
- Character: be a person of character, drive and integrity who will represent the University in a professional manner at all times.
- Creativity: have the ability to meet appropriate situation with reasonable, creative responses in order to achieve the goals and objectives of the recruitment effort.
- Commitment: be dedicated to the mission of Jacksonville University in regard to the growth of its student population.
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
- Minimum Education Requirement: Degree in science, education or a related field
- Minimum Work Experience: Customer Service experience
Must have experience using educational technology platforms used in higher ed, preferably Canvas LMS, ExamSoft, etc.
- Preferred Qualifications:
Master’s Degree in Medical Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Anatomy/Physiology
Higher education, with some teaching experience, 3+ years of demonstrated application support experience, excellent customer service skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, advanced skills in Microsoft suite
- Ability to perform all duties and responsibilities as outline in this job description
- Light work-standing, walking, lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Talking, hearing, repetitive motions
- Close visual acuity-viewing computer screen, extensive reading
- 8:30am to 5:00pm; flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested candidates should submit letter of interest, curriculum vitae, three current written letters of recommendation, and a completed JU Application to:
Dr. Wayne Mier, MSMS Program Director
Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences
School of Applied Health Sciences