Accounts Payable Associate
Accounts Payable Associate
Position Reports to
Accounting Manager of Disbursements
March 1, 2024
The Accounts Payable Associate is a non-exempt position and is primarily responsible for vendor payments and the control of expenses by receiving and processing various types of accounts payable transactions, which includes scanning and keying vendor invoices, employee expense reports, manual check requests and electronic invoices, and verifying the proper coding and approval of invoices and reconciling invoices in a timely manner. The incumbent will report to the Accounting Manager of Disbursements. This position works very closely with other accountants and internal customers within the University and external vendors.
- Receive all vendor invoices, check requests and separate invoices as check or credit card payments.
- Manage the invoice scanning, coding, and workflow processes.
- Review account coding, approval signatures, and remittance address to ensure accuracy.
- Input of invoices, credit memos, and voids into our ERP system.
- Run accounts payable aging schedule and review with Accounting Manager of Disbursement to ensure payments to be made while taking advantage of any available discounts.
- Prepare check runs bi-weekly and initiate checks, electronic transfers, or process online payments as necessary.
- Manage the Capital One Credit Card Program and pay vendors by credit card to obtain fee income.
- Manage all expense reimbursement and cash advance requests and update report on advance reconciliations.
- Manage and set up all accounts payable payments made through automatic ACH and wire transfer debits to our bank for various vendors.
- Maintain vendor records, including contact information and payment terms.
- Respond to vendor inquires and resolve payment discrepancies.
- Reconcile monthly statements from vendors to ensure all invoices have been accounted for and paid.
- Prepare journal entries for account coding corrections per managements request and for prepaid invoices that represent services for multiple fiscal years.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees, clients, vendors, and lenders.
- Assist with preparation of 1099 forms and other forms as necessary.
- Develop, implement, improve, and enforce budgets polices and department controls to increase accuracy and efficiency.
- Provide feedback to management for areas of improvement that result in streamlining and creating more efficient processes.
- Manage and execute the AP Close process for month-end and year end.
- Assist with implementation of ERP system related to online invoice and purchase order and approval processes.
- Order supplies for Controller’s office as needed.
- Assist with and sort and distribute all US and interoffice mail to Controllers Office Staff.
- Assist with and date stamp and distribute mail to other departments for approvals or sort for payment.
- Complete other projects and duties as deemed necessary by management.
- Detail oriented and strong analytical ability.
- Strong sense of time management and organization skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and projects, mobilize efforts toward completion; deliver with a high degree of quality, error free, on a consistent basis.
- Proficient with ERP systems such as Colleague or Banner and Microsoft Office products, specifically Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to work confidently and competently under very tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
- Associate degree in accounting, finance, or business administration (preferred) or equivalent business experience.
- At least 3+ years of relevant accounts payable experience in a medium to large organization - Higher Education experienced a plus.
- Knowledge of accounting/bookkeeping principles.
- Experience working with online invoice and purchase order systems with approval workflows.
- Ability to work in an office environment with extensive use of computer and telephone. ability to lift and carry up to twenty pounds; ability to read, write, handle and process paper documents.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.