Program Director of Physical Therapy
Program Director of Physical Therapy
The Department of Physical Therapy, in the Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences, invites applicants to apply for a full-time, 12-month, position for an Associate Professor or Full Professor serving as Program Director. This is a tenure-track position with the opportunity to negotiate tenure status upon hire based on experience and qualifications. This new program has an exclusive clinical partnership with Brooks Rehabilitation. The Program Director will be responsible for curriculum development, equipment acquisition, and faculty recruitment and hiring. The director is also responsible for attaining and maintaining accreditation with the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). The Program Director will work collaboratively and communicate effectively with our Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital partners, faculty, staff, and students to ensure college and student success. The Director serves as a mentor to faculty and as a collaborator with other college administrative officers, interprets college/university policy, advocates for the department from a perspective of the best overall interests of the college, leads faculty in important processes that shape the curriculum for the accreditation processes, instructs physical therapy courses, and effectively articulates department, college, and university missions to internal and external constituencies.
Essential Job Duties
- Oversight of curriculum development
- Purchase and obtain essential program equipment
- Recruit and hire program faculty
- Attain and retain CAPTE accreditation
- Serve as a mentor to faculty
- Collaborate with other college administrators and community partners
- Instruct physical therapy courses
- Oversee daily operations of the Physical Therapy program
- Primarily indoors
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and scientific equipment
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Qualification Requirement
- Current membership in the American Physical Therapy Association.
- A commitment to teaching and program development, to working in a culturally diverse environment, and an understanding of the mission of Jacksonville University.
- Motivation to develop an innovative DPT program that focuses on excellence and adult learning theories.
- Excellent organization, problem solving, mentoring, and communication skills.
Minimum Education Requirement
- An earned academic doctoral degree (PhD, EdD, DSc, etc.).
- Licensure or eligible for licensure as a Physical Therapist in the state of Florida.
Minimum Work Experience
- At least 3 years of teaching experience in an entry-level physical therapy program accredited by CAPTE, and six or more years teaching in higher education.
- Earned DPT degree from a CAPTE accredited program.
- APTA Board-Certified as a Clinical Specialist in Physical Therapy.
- Knowledge of and successful experience with the CAPTE accreditation process.
- Previous experience as a Program Director and/or Department Chair for a physical therapist DPT program.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in interdisciplinary research, with scholarly contributions commensurate with rank of Associate or Full Professor
- History of securing research funding.
- Demonstrated professional service involvement at the state, national or international
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
The review of applications will continue until filled. Interested candidates should submit: letter of interest, curriculum vitae, three current written letters of recommendation, and a completed Jacksonville University Faculty Application. All materials should be submitted electronically to Dr. Megan Bewernitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.