Assistant Professor of Scenic Design and Tech
Assistant Professor of Scenic Design and Tech
Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts & Humanities
The Jacksonville University Department of Theatre invites applications for a full-time tenuretrack position of Assistant Professor of Scenic Design & Technology, beginning August 2023. Applications will be considered beginning Fall 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Essential Job Duties
Teach courses within the Department of Theatre as assigned, including, but not limited to a rotation of introductory and advanced courses such as Stagecraft, Scenic Design, Sound Design, Lighting, Scene Painting and Stage Management. Serve as designer (scenic and/or, lighting, sound, projection/media, if applicable) for the Department of Theatre. Coordinate design, construction, and strikes for all department productions. Serve on department and university committees. Supervise student design assignments. Recruit and interact with potential theatre students. Successful candidates will have a secondary design focus including, but not limited to, lighting, and/or costumes, sound, projection, and other media.
- MFA in scenic design or professional equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to design scenery and/or lights, sound, costumes for main stage productions in theatre, dance, musicals, and in other interdisciplinary interests.
- Inclusive pedagogical practices.
- Working knowledge of theatrical design software, such as Isadora, Vectorworks, AutoCAD, and others for drawing, rendering, painting, model building and theatre technology implementation.
- Demonstrated professional theatre design and / or technology experience
- University teaching experience in areas such as Intro to Design, Drafting, Design History, Stage Properties, 3-D Modeling, Vectorworks, CAD, Projection Design, Scene Painting, and skills for other media.
- Two (2) or more years' experience teaching at the university level.
- Production experience in Scenic Design, and one additional area, such as Technical Direction, Lighting Design, Sound Design, Props, Costume Design, Publicity or Community Outreach.
- Experience working with students or interns in theatrical production.
- Experience in theater management and supervising theatrical spaces.
- Experience incorporating technology to enhance the learning environment, e.g., Blackboard, online instruction, or other modalities/software.
- Experience in recording and audio/video capture of live performances, e.g., archival recordings.
- Substitutions Allowed: Applicants who do not meet the required qualifications as stated are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them for the responsibilities of this position and by providing appropriate references. Exceptions to the degree requirements may be made for compelling reasons.
The Department of Theatre at the Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts at Jacksonville University in Jacksonville, Florida is a premier arts education institution that offers individualized theatrical artist training through a liberal arts framework in a private university setting. The Department of Theatre lives on the JU main campus, which is nestled on the St. Johns River just minutes from downtown, the beach, and major artistic hubs in the region.
Within the Stein College, the Department of Theatre physically lives in Swisher Theater, a 22,000 square-foot, 400-seat proscenium space with functioning classrooms, scenic and allied arts and crafts shops, and faculty offices. The theater is the physical intersection of educational programming in theatre, dance, and music. It is also used by the university community at large for other shows, gatherings, and ceremonies. The department also has access to a 100-seat Blackbox theater, a large concert hall managed by the Department of Music, and another intimate space, Studio North, managed by the Department of Dance. The Department enjoys rich collaborations with other disciplines such as dance, film, healthcare sciences, humanities, and music.
The department offers both B.A. and B.F.A. degrees with concentrations in performance (acting) and technical theatre. The department produces work that serves the campus community and extends to the local Jacksonville community and the Northeast Florida arts community. For more information about Jacksonville University visit www.ju.edu.
For more information about the Department of Theatre Arts, please visit www.ju.edu/theatre.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Jacksonville University supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Jacksonville University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or the presence of a disability.
To apply applicants should prepare and submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter.
- A CV with relevant experience and teaching history.
- Statement of Teaching/Philosophy.
- A Digital Portfolio of Design Work/Links to Relevant Work.
- Names, phone numbers and emails of three professional references.
- Link to professional website (optional).