Assistant Professor Marine Science, Physical Oceanography Tenure Track
Assistant Professor Marine Science Physical Oceanography, Tenure Track
College of Arts & Sciences
Jacksonville University invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Marine Science, tenure-track beginning January (preferred) or August 2023. Seeking a physical oceanographer with an emphasis on estuarine, coastal, and/or open ocean processes. Must be qualified to teach Physical Oceanography and related courses at both undergraduate and master’s degree levels. Knowledge and interest in GIS, modeling, coding language, and/or remote sensing techniques, a plus. Ph.D. required by time of appointment. Successful candidates are expected to develop an active grant-funded research involving undergraduates and master's students. A strong commitment to providing high-quality education with significant teacher/student interaction is required.
Essential Job Duties
- Expected area of emphasis on one of the following: estuarine, coastal, and/or open ocean processes
- Must be able to teach Physical Oceanography, and related courses at both undergraduate and master’s degree levels
- Must be able to teach online courses at the master’s degree level to support the MA in Marine Science and MS in Marine Studies programs
- Must participate in college and university service
- Develop research portfolio related to physical oceanography that includes serving as the primary advisor to graduate students conducting thesis research
- Combination of work indoors and outdoors
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and scientific equipment
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
A PhD in physical oceanography, marine science, or other related discipline by time of appointment in
January (preferred) or August 2023.
Minimum Work Experience
- Academic teaching experience in marine science or physical oceanography and GIS
- Interest in applying modeling, coding language, and/or remote sensing techniques
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Please submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, research statement, transcripts, JU faculty application, and include names with contact information for three references to: email@example.com
Screening will begin October 3rdst and continue until the position is filled.