New Student Experience Coordinator
New Student Experience Coordinator
New Student Experience (Student Affairs)
Position Reports to
Director of New Student Experience
December 1, 2023
The New Student Experience Coordinator is a critical member of the New Student Experience team, responsible for enhancing the orientation and onboarding experiences for new students at Jacksonville University. The Office of New Student Experience serves both the incoming freshman class and all students newly enrolled at Jacksonville University. While the largest new student population are traditional undergraduate students, this also includes support for graduate and non-traditional students. Reporting to the Director of New Student Experience, this role is instrumental in ensuring that all new students receive comprehensive support and resources to successfully transition into the academic and social aspects of college life. You will be successful in this role if you thrive in problem solving, are energized by cultivating positive partnerships, and are highly empathetic to the new student experience.
- Assist in recruiting, training, and supervision of a team of student leaders responsible for helping facilitate orientation, onboarding, and First Year Seminar activities.
- Provide ongoing guidance, support, and feedback to student leaders to ensure the success of orientation and onboarding programs.
- Communicate with programs and colleges to understand and unify the onboarding needs for various student types;
- Work closely with the Office of Parents & Families to communicate onboarding process and to plan/execute Parent Orientation;
- Utilize the College’s early warning and retention software to follow up on student referrals, analyze student trends and concerns, and coordinate outreach to students;
- Serves as a resource/representative to the university community as requested on topics related to the New Student Experience;
- Collaborate closely with the Director of New Student Experience and other Student Affairs team members to develop and enhance programs and services.
Programming & Student Experience:
- Respond to and anticipate challenges in the new student onboarding process, creating solutions and pathways for all students, regardless of class or affiliation, to seamlessly matriculate.
- Assist in the planning, coordination, and execution of spring, summer, and fall onboarding programs for new students, including but not limited to Summer Splash, Dolphin Dive-in, and Parent Orientation;
- Act as a student advocate, providing guidance and appropriate referrals to students seeking assistance;
- Along with the Director, provide leadership for student staff hiring, training, and ongoing mentorship.
- Energetic, student-centered, and team-oriented professional;
- Commitment to customer service, both internal and external to the department;
- Demonstrated conceptual knowledge and experience in student onboarding & orientation programs;
- High level of comfort with frequent student contact and ability to advise diverse student groups;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully balance, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks in an active, fast- paced environment, while providing superior constituent service;
- Excellent oral, written, computer, problem-solving, critical thinking, and fiscal management skills.
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required.
- Work experience in orientation and onboarding and/or related experience in a college environment.
- Experience with campus-based systems such as Blackboard, Colleague, Starfish, Slate, etc.
- 2+ years of experience in higher education preferred.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.