Lab Manager - Biology and Marine Science
Lab Manager - Biology and Marine Science
Biology & Marine Science
Position Reports to (Position Title)
Joe Cradlebaugh, School Director
The Department of Biology & Marine Science at Jacksonville University is seeking a Biology Lab Manager to start immediately. This position will remain open until it is filled, and interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. A bachelor' s degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Marine Science, or a related field is required; candidates with a Master's degree will be given preference. Candidates must be highly organized with excellent time management skills and can work independently or in a team. Experience with instrument troubleshooting and chemical and industrial hygiene is desired. RCRA and DOT certification is preferred but not required.
- Supervise between 2 to 5 work-study students each semester.
- Coordinate and oversee lab/workshop safety and chemical hygiene responsibilities of Lab Technicians in other science dep artments.
- Perform annual review and revision of the College ' s Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Perform annual Chemical Hygiene Inspections in all laboratorie s, document safety concerns/violations, and document steps being taken to remedy or reduce safety concerns/violations.
- Provide at least one general lab safety/chemic al hygiene training presentation (with appropriate documentation) per year to all JU faculty, staff, and student workers that work around hazardous chemicals.
- Assist course instructors with lab setup and cleanup as requested by Biology and Marine Science faculty.
- Successfully complete any required University training regarding hazmat, lab safety, and chemical hygiene.
- Maintain stocks of general laboratory supplies and cleaning products.
- Maintain first aid kits, chemical spill kits, and fire blankets in science laboratories.
- Perform or oversee repair and maintenance of mic roscopes, autoclave, deionization systems, laboratory refrigerators and freezers, glassware washers, ice makers, and other scientific equipment.
- Maintain appropriate safety signage throughout laboratories.
- Monitor environmental conditions of laboratories, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Maintain and update the College's Chemical Inventory and Safety Data Sheet Notebooks in all laboratories.
- Oversee annual performance testing by certified inspectors of all chemical fume hoods, biological safety cabinets, snorkel exhaust systems, and laminar flow workstations.
- Consolidate, organize, and label hazardous waste in Satellite Accumulation Areas in accordance with RCRA/DOT guideline s. Arrange for proper disposal of hazardous waste every six months.
- Ensure that safety showers, safety eyewash stations, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers are inspected monthly.
- Clean, fill with gas, and ensure proper maintenance of the Department's vehicles.
- Additional duties as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
- A bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Marine Science, or a related field is required; candidates with a Master's degree will be given preference.
- Experience with instrument troubleshooting.
- Experience with chemical and industrial hygiene is desired.
- RCRA and DOT certification is preferred but not required.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a copy of their resume, transcripts, cover letter, list of references, and a completed JU Application to Dr. Bill Penwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.