Instructor of Photography
Instructor of Photography
The Department of Visual Arts, in the Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts at Jacksonville University, invites applicants for an Instructor of Photography position beginning August 2023. The Department is seeking a faculty member with an investment in teaching and a solid record of research and professional practice. Candidates should demonstrate readiness to teach traditional and commercial practices in photography. The successful applicant will highlight innovative and creative work, plus show an active record of scholarly engagement. Candidates should have a record of successful teaching, making obvious their commitment to interactive classroom learning and integrating new technologies. As an institution committed to equity and inclusion, we seek candidates who embody and express these values in all aspects of their courses and pedagogy.
The undergraduate photography curriculum focuses on the fine art connections in the field of photography with engaged learning at the core of the curriculum and its student experience.
Essential Job Duties
- Teach a range of undergraduate photography courses. A passion for teaching, and student engagement is essential.
- Actively participate in departmental and school meetings and service, including committee work and academic support services such as, curricular coordination and development, and student advising.
- Oversight of the photography studios including both digital and traditional wet labs.
- Skills in fine art and commercial photography are preferred
- Experience with oversight of studio facilities
- Willing to collaborate with university faculty
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and scientific equipment
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- MFA in arts (or related field)
- Equivalent professional experience
Minimum Work Experience
- Two years teaching experience (preferred)
- MFA in Arts (or related field)
- Two years teaching experience
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Covid Vaccination Information: Faculty and Staff
All Jacksonville University employees who work at any JU facility must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
For more information regarding the JU vaccination policy, please click the link below.JU Vaccination Policy
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, portfolio, teaching philosophy outlining their pedagogical approach, list of Instructor of Record courses (sample course syllabi optional), Jacksonville University faculty application, names and contact info for three references and unofficial transcripts via email to Nicole Guillaume, Administrative Associate: firstname.lastname@example.org.