Office of People & Culture
The Office of People Culture is seeking a HR Generalist who is fully dedicated to
recruiting, supporting and
retaining employees. This individual has broad knowledge across all aspects of human resources including but
not limited to recruiting, compensation, benefits, employee relations, employee recognition, wellness and
training and development. This is a 12-month, full-time, exempt position reporting to the Vice President of
People & Culture.
Essential Job Duties
- Acts as a single point of contact for the faculty and staff within the respective campus units assigned
- Proactively supports the delivery of HR processes at the client’s point of need. This includes areas such as salary, benefits, recruiting, leave approvals, etc.
- Personally visits client units to build strong relationships with faculty and staff
- Assist campus units with recruiting key talent
- Identifies new opportunities where HR can add value to the client/department
- Provides expert advice and coaching to supervisors/managers/employees when appropriate
- Assist department managers/directors with compensation and HR information on an as needed basis
- Reviews and benchmarks the internal and external environment to improve HR policies and initiatives.
- Maintains knowledge of progressive HR practices and key trends, particularly those in an academic setting
- Manages specific projects as determined in the annual HR operational plan. Participates in functional and cross-functional projects
- Works with HR Team members so service levels are covered in the event of the absence of any team member.
- Works closely with our campus partners to provide HR services as needed: Controllers Office, Academic Affairs, Financial Affairs, Information Technology
- Processes benefit carrier invoices for assigned areas. This includes reconciliation of monthly billing invoices with carriers and accounting
- Processes all changes to employee records and/or positions, including salary, benefits, position ID’s, vacation payouts, etc.
- Reports changes in enrollment and benefit selections to various carriers for those employees in respective campus units
- Assists in other human resources projects and reports as required to meet the demands
- Exceptional oral communication, writing skills, and critical thinking skills
- Must be able to balance the needs of the employee with the needs, policies and practices of the University as well as legal requirements
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and including, including the understanding and appreciation for cultural differences that impact a college campus
- Ability to use discretionary judgment and maintain confidentiality
- Project Management Skills
- Labor law knowledge Skills
- Ability to deliver effective presentations to groups of employees
- Commitment to teamwork
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and desire to connect with individuals
- Strong computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Office Suite, and Excel
- Competency in HRIS database programs (Ellucian)
- Excellent problem-solving abilities, leadership, and time management skills
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings or being off-campus
- Standard office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Overtime hours may occasionally be necessary to meet project deadlines
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones and office machine
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, sociology or psychology
Minimum Work Experience
- Passion for diversity, equity and inclusion efforts
- Previous experience in Human Resources position, preferable in a generalist role
- Ability to successfully balance and manage multiple tasks in an active, fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral, written, computer, and fiscal management skills
- 3 years of relevant experience in areas of responsibility
- Experience with HRIS Information Systems
- 5 years knowledge and experience in human resources and payroll;
- Master’s Degree in Business or Human Resources
- Professional experience, preferable in higher education;
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Covid Vaccination Information: Faculty and Staff
All Jacksonville University employees who work at any JU facility must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
For more information regarding the JU vaccination policy, please click the link below.JU Vaccination Policy
Interested applicants are asked to submit a copy of their resume, cover letter and list of references along with a completed JU Application to Fonnie Baarmand at email@example.com.