Financial Aid Counselor
This position is no longer available.
Financial Aid Counselor
Reporting to the Director of Student Financial Assistance, the Financial Aid Counselor is responsible for counseling students regarding aid availability, how funds are administered, the financial aid application process, programs available, and problem resolution. The Counselor is expected to oversee the administration of at least one institutional, federal, or state program/process. Program/process administration includes monitoring individual student eligibility, submitting required reports within established formats and deadlines, performing reconciliations in preparation for annual audits, and training themselves on program regulations in concert with provided training from senior staff.
Essential Job Duties
- Counsel students and parents throughout the recruitment, application and enrollment process to include verification, PJ, loan origination, etc. for assigned group
- Exhibit and model exemplary customer service skills; emails, texts, phone calls, in person visits
- Technological skills to use financial aid systems including Colleague, E’trieve document imaging, SoftDocs, COD, Zoom, etc.
- Knowledge of exit interview counseling and federal regulations for communication to students upon withdrawal and R2T4
- Ability to use Excel to create reports
- Review weekly potential refund lists
- Coordinate continual policy and procedure updates and implementation of new processes
- Collaborate with numerous internal and external constituents; attend meetings on behalf of the FA office and present at various recruitment and educational events.
- Participate in training opportunities
- Represent the office on various departmental and university committees as needed
- Assist with special projects and miscellaneous tasks as needed
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Technical knowledge necessary to facilitate financial aid processes
- Knowledge of financial aid best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong initiative with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Student-focused and strong commitment to superior customer service.
- Proficiency in computers and software including Microsoft Office suite
- Air-conditioned building
- Office environment
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and scientific equipment
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
Minimum Work Experience
- Two or more years in financial assistance demonstrating initiative and professionalism
- A working knowledge of federal financial aid regulations is required
- An understanding of financial aid leveraging, extensive use and knowledge of technology, and attention to detail are essential
- Experience within a private, liberal arts university is preferred
- Knowledge of Florida State Scholarship programs preferred
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a completed JU application along with a copy of their resume, cover letter, and list of references to Michele Roth at email@example.com.