Director of Communications
Director of Communications
Marketing & Communications
The Director of Communications shall, under the direction of, and in consultation with, the Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communications (AVPMC), develop and implement the brand voice for Jacksonville University, its colleges and schools, its various entities and the communities they serve. The Director of Communications will lead the communications team in developing public and media relations plans and messaging that tells the University’s story, internally and externally, while promoting the institution's mission, vision and goals.
- Direct supervision of communications team leads.
- Assists with developing and monitoring the budget for production of materials
- Act as spokesperson on a variety of issues and topics, as assigned.
- Effectively pitch stories and multimedia packages to secure placements in traditional and new media, with emphasis on high-impact national and international news media.
- Foster relationships with key local, national and international members of the press to better facilitate earned media opportunities for the institution.
- Develops high-level communications strategy and creates annual communications plan and calendar for implementation of that strategy. The comprehensive strategy includes across all media should include; publications, video, web, digital, and social media.
- Serves as senior staff member of Marketing & Communications team for brand and development, brand awareness, fundraising campaign marketing, use of media, including paid and earned media.
- Mentorship and strategic liaison leadership to college/area marcom collaborators maintaining efficiency of resources and consistency of overall University message tactics.
- Provide communications leadership to University committees as required throughout the JU system. Either serve on committees when necessary or assign appropriate staff.
- Recruits and hires consultants and freelance writers as needed to maintain the production volume of communications content.
- Researches, writes, edits and updates copy for university wide written communications through multiple outreach methods, including but not limited to website stories, campus emails, division publications for programs, services, functions and events.
- Manages, edits and writes remarks/comments for the Office of the President and other senior administrators, board members, and VIPs to deliver at internal/external engagements on behalf of the University.
- Oversees the content creation of the University’s WAVE Magazine.
- Strong leader who enjoys the role of mentoring others.
- Conversant in marketing, social media, public relations, printing, video and graphic design terminology.
- Problem solver who takes ownership.
- Strong attention to detail and respect for budgets and deadlines.
- Great interpersonal skills and can build excellent working relationships.
- A solid writer who likes to write.
- Highly creative who loves to develop the concept alone or with a team of people.
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
- Working with a variety of communications platforms
- Preparing and executing strategic communications plans and evaluating/reporting on their effectiveness
- Project management of news content, publications and print material
- Writing and editing strategic, goal-specific materials
- Working with graphic designers, freelance writers and content owners, and website coordinators
- Successful candidate will have minimum of 5-7 years of work experience in a marketing
- an educational institution or professional organization or a communications firm.
- Minimum Education Requirement: Bachelor’s Degree Required; Master’s Degree Preferred
- Minimum Work Experience: Five years of marketing experience
- Preferred Qualifications: Seven years of marketing experience including higher education marketing experience
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
To apply for this position, please send a resume, two writing samples and a cover letter to: Mary Anne Jolly at email@example.com.