Dean, College of Law
This position is no longer available.
Dean, College of Law
The Jacksonville University College of Law is a newly founded juris doctor program in the thriving legal community of Jacksonville, Florida. The College, as the newest addition to this community, is committed to building a strong, educated legal workforce to help shape a bolder future for Jacksonville, and beyond. The College is scheduled to open Fall 2022 and will provide a comprehensive legal education centered on experiential learning.
The Founding Dean will have the opportunity to shape the future of this mission-driven college. The Founding Dean, reporting to the provost, shall be the academic and administrative leader of the College of Law. The Dean is expected to advocate for the new program, and, with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, provide inspiration and cohesion to shepherd the College of Law from the historic founding to a position of prominence and impact.
The Founding Dean will play a significant role in the strategic planning of the college. The success of the College is dependent on a successful accreditation process; recruitment and retention of faculty and staff committed to student success; effective marketing of the program and recruitment of students; and fiscal management of the College’s operations. The Founding Dean is expected to build strong relationships with the local bar association, judiciary, and professional organizations. The Dean will be responsible for establishing strategic educational, clinical, and community relationships that will benefit the College of Law and its students’ career outcomes. Preference will be given to highly qualified candidates with experience in higher education.
Jacksonville University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage applications from historically underrepresented groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Essential Job Duties
- Lead the development of a strategic plan for successful professional accreditation and academic program assessment that aligns with the University’s and College’s mission and goals,
- Support the academic and professional success of College of Law students,
- Lead the development and implementation of a residential curriculum that provides College of Law students educational and career development opportunities
- Recruit and retain exceptional, talented, diverse, and highly dedicated faculty, students, and staff.
- Raise funds to support investment in the mission of the College.
- Develop and engage with global, national, regional, and local partnerships, including the local and regional legal communities, to support student success.
- Communicate the activities and achievements of the College of Law.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Earned Juris Doctor or other terminal law degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate discipline for the College
Minimum Work Experience
- A member in good standing of the Florida Bar, or the bar or similar body of another state
- A professional background appropriate for a tenured appointment at the rank of professor
- Experience with academic and professional accrediting bodies, including the American Bar Association
- A record of advancing the goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Advanced administrative experience in academic organizations
- Demonstrated abilities in fundraising
- Demonstrated abilities in the marketing and recruitment of programs
- Demonstrated ability to lead strategic planning efforts, engaging collaboratively with university and community stakeholders
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
All application materials should be submitted to Dr. Nisse Goldberg, Chair, Dean Search, College of Law at email@example.com no later than March 17, 2022. Review of applications will begin March 18, 2022, and continue until the position is filled. Application materials include: Cover Letter, CV, and three (3) reference letters.