Campus Safety and Security
Position Reports to
Executive Director, Campus Safety and Security
November 1, 2023
This position is responsible for the coordination, implementation and management of Jacksonville University Department of Safety and Security programs and services, including, but not limited to training, policy development, risk management, investigations, personnel, and accreditation. The position ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, rules and regulations related to campus/university safety and security, as well as, alignment with the University’s Strategic Plan and policies. This position reports directly to the Director, Jacksonville University Department of Campus Safety and Security (DCSS).
- Interviews, recommends hiring to Executive Director, trains new and current staff.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the Department.
- Evaluates performance and provides timely feedback.
- Helps resolve employee issues and disputes.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with the University policies.
- Coordinates and Conducts Investigations/Internal/LE Assistance/Clery.
- Review incident reports for clarity and completeness; maintains confidential records.
- Update/create DCSS Policy and Procedures Manual/DCSS Operations/Training Manuals.
- Prepare and complete all tasks needed for University Accreditation process.
- Coordinate, schedule, and/or train security staff in procedures, laws, regulations, and required annual training/verify successful completion of training necessary to perform assigned tasks and necessary for the performance of their safety and security functions.
- Coordinates Hiring/Recruitment recommendations to Director/Conducts Interviews.
- Assists in preparation of Emergency Response Procedures and Protocols.
- Assists Lieutenant/Director in the supervision, discipline, and evaluation of all DCSS Officers/Student Workers.
- Responds, as directed by the Director, to student/University needs/concerns.
- Special Projects as assigned by the Director.
- Conducts Risk/Management assessments/threats.
- Oversees Compliance with Federal, State and Local laws.
- Liaison duties with Jacksonville University Departments/external Law Enforcement Organizations.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
- Continues professional development and training; keeps current with trends.
- Assists other department staff as needed to promote a team effort.
- Demonstrates a commitment to fostering and maintaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate when appropriate.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of prior Law Enforcement or Security experience required, with at least two years in a supervisory capacity.
- Ability to pass required criminal background check.
- Previous experience in an educational setting preferred and/or a desire to work with college age individuals.
- Dependable, organized, detail-oriented, team member with the ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Work as a team member and foster a cooperative work environment.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of security best practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively including written and oral communication skills.
- Able to handle an on-call rotation and possible work outside of normal business hours.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.