Assistant Director of Residential Life
Assistant Director of Residential Life
Position Reports to
Director of Residential Life
December 1, 2023
Currently open to Internal Applicants only. The Department of Residential Life is committed to providing a place of belonging for the residential students at Jacksonville University. We act as champion for our residents, seeking to create safe space where every person is honored and celebrated in their individuality and personal identity. Our department often responds to crises and conflict resulting in high emotions. Therefore, our team values empathy, vulnerability, and a spirit of learning.
The Assistant Director (AD) provides essential leadership in creating the student leadership experience within ResLife. Reporting to the Director of Residential Life, the AD manages several student leadership positions, as well as, the hiring and training of all ResLife Student Staff positions. You will be successful in this role if you are energized by people interaction, brainstorming, creating moments of fun within learning, and are interested in embracing the grey that comes with serving people well. This is a required live-on position and includes a meal plan.
The Assistant Director manages several student staff positions including the team of Community Assistants, the Marketing Assistant, and the Move-in Crew. The AD also serves as a leader for the ResLife Professional Staff team through oversight of key initiatives and projects impacting their work.
- Create and manage an annual ResLife Staff hiring process, providing leadership and learning moments for the Residential Life Coordinators;
- Supervise a team of ResLife Assistants through the Summer Term and Winter Break RAs over the Winter Term;
- Coordinate and lead annual ResLife Staff Training and assist the Director in planning ProStaff Training;
- Oversee a performance evaluation process and learning plans for ResLife student staff;
- Create and innovate an online training module for ResLife student staff;
- Hire, train, and provide mentorship for a team of Community Assistants who provide front-line support to the Residential Communities;
- Support the Marketing Assistant and provide oversight of all ResLife social media;
- Continue to develop the Move-in Crew opportunity for current students to help welcome new students to campus;
- Serve on various committees or boards for the University as a representative of Residential Life;
- Coordinate and serve on the Pro Staff On Call rotation;
- Participate as a University Conduct Officer in matters pertaining to Residential Life;
- Work in partnership with the Director to create a meaningful, impactful, and empathetic residential culture for both students and staff.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse work environment;
- Ability to be attentive to details, be accurate, and precise;
- Ability to lead/teach and mentor others;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and work independently with little supervision;
- Ability to reason/analyze, maintain confidentiality, and demonstrate patience and understanding;
- Ability to show initiative, organize workflow, and manage multiple projects.
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
- Master’s degree in higher education/student affairs or related field from a regionally accredited college or university;
- 2-4 years of experience working in Residential Life or Student Affairs;
- Experience supervising student leadership positions;
- Hiring, onboarding, and/or student staff training experience preferred.
- Lifting, bending, and pulling equipment is required in the process of setting up or taking down equipment used for special events;
- Position requires extensive walking (both indoors and outdoors) and climbing of stairs, lifting, carrying, or moving of equipment and furniture up to 50 pounds, bending at the hips and knees, crouching, kneeling, stooping and similar movements may also be required.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.