Position Reports to
March 15, 2024
The accountant will be responsible for providing timely and accurate financial information and analysis to support both internal and external reporting. We are seeking an experienced detail oriented individual to assist with the monthly close process, account reconciliations, journal entries, and other general accounting duties for the University. The incumbent will report to the Assistant Controller. The incumbent collaborates very closely with other accountants and primarily the internal customers within the University.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual journal entries.
- Prepare draws down for Federal Financial Aid Funds in the USDOE G5/6 system and prepare elated journal entries.
- Prepare and review reconciliations of accounts and sub-ledgers, as well as analyze balances and research discrepancies in financial data as they relate to the assigned areas of responsibilities.
- Prepare special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Assist with month-end close activities including the preparation of journal entries.
- Review of student revenue for tuition, fees, scholarships, housing, and meals and prepare journal entries to record proper revenue recognitions.
- Record bond investment activity, accruals, issuance cost and premium amortization monthly and record semi/annual debt service payments.
- Record Aramark dining service commissions, accruals, and amortization of certain costs monthly.
- Serves as backup for daily recording and reconciliation of cash deposits and disbursements per bank and scanning of bank deposits.
- Prepare new lease amortization schedules and initial journal entry to record leases at inception in accordance with ASC 840 and maintains inventory schedule for operating and finance leases.
- Monitor and verify the accuracy of the Barnes and Noble commissions received, Regions Bank Line of Credit and the Federal Direct Lending and Pell loans.
- Monitor/track Self-Funded Insurance account.
- Assist with annual audits, including all requirements necessary for non-profit higher education reporting, including, but not limited to annual reconciliations, roll-forwards, lead schedules, footnotes, and financial statement analysis.
- Collaborate with Assistant Controller to identify areas to improve workflow processes, improve documentation, and implement improvements.
- Assist with creating and updating the accounting and finance procedures in compliance with FASB and GAAP.
- Cross-train with colleagues to gain and exchange experience of department functions.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks.
- Complete other projects and duties as deemed necessary by management.
- Detail oriented and strong analytical ability.
- Effective time management and organization skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and projects, mobilize efforts toward completion; deliver with a high degree of quality, error free, on a consistent basis.
- Proficient with ERP systems and Microsoft Office products, specifically Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to communicate information clearly and effectively to internal and external customers.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to understand and work with the complexities of higher education.
Education, Certificates, Licenses, & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business Administration or at least 5 years of related accounting experience.
- At least 2 years of related accounting experience.
- Ability to work in an office environment with extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Ability to lift and carry up to twenty pounds; ability to read, write, handle and process paper documents.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.