Faculty & Student Activities
Congratulations to Kelechi Akwataghibe, a senior Honors student double majoring in MATH and CS, on scoring positively on the December 2018 William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition (“the Putnam”). This is the second year that Kelechi has scored positively on the Putnam. He plans on attending graduate school in the Fall. The exam is sponsored by the Mathematical Association of America and is 'the leading university-level mathematics examination in the world.' The competition consists of two 3-hour sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. During each session, participants work individually on 6 challenging mathematical problems.
Biology major Jarvis Strickland was awarded best undergraduate research presentation for his work "Surveillance of Maryland white-tailed deer for vector-borne parasites” presented at the Southeastern Society of Parasitology conference!
Click on the picture to learn about the student-designed flow system for us in the Division of Science and Mathematics.
Division of Science & Mathematics Student of the Year– Kelechi Akwataghibe
Academic Excellence Award in Biology— Janel Clarisse Palomo and Maya Fisher
Outstanding Student of the Year in Biology— Jarvis Strickland and Kasey Williams
Chemistry Student of the Year— Ruth Adeyemi
Golightly Award in Computing Science (Outstanding Student)— Kelechi Akwataghibe
Student of the Year in Engineering— Patrick Taylor
Engineering Service Award— Johnny Villegas
Academic Excellence Award in Marine Science— Ashlyne Miller and Sean Wilms
Golightly Award in Mathematics (Outstanding Student)– Kelechi Akwataghibe
Physics Student of the Year– Courtney Purcell
- Division of Science & Mathematics Student of the Year – Misha Chalkley & Nolan Carney
- Renaissance Award – Precious Faniyi
Academic Excellence Award in Biology—Olga Nushtayeva
Outstanding Student of the Year in Biology—Lacie Smith
- Chemistry Student of the Year–Nolan Carney & Kyla Siemens
- Golightly Award in Computing Science (Outstanding Student) — Cindy Leong
Student of the Year in Engineering — Fred Washburn
Engineering Service Award — Precious Faniyi
Academic Excellence Award in Marine Science — Missy Rogers
Outstanding Students of the Year in Marine Science — Maria Cooler, Amber Goldberg, and Hunter Stroble
- Golightly Award in Mathematics (Outstanding Student) – Wade Benton
Physics Service Award – Kenny Huffman
Physics Student of the Year – Misha Chalkley
2018 - 2019
Dr. Mike Nancarrow (Mathematics) was awarded Jacksonville University Student Involvement “Outstanding Advisor of the Year." The award was based on his contributions to the Outing Club. Dr. Kara Conway (Biology and Marine Science) was awarded the Tim Shakespeare Staff Award.
- Siddiqui, S. and Bielmyer-Fraser, G.K., 2019. Accumulation and Effects of Dissolved and Nanoparticle Silver and Copper in Two Marine Seaweed Species. Georgia Journal of Science, 77(2), p.1.
- Bielmyer-Fraser, G.K., Harper, B., Picariello, C. and Albritton-Ford, A., 2018. The influence of salinity and water chemistry on acute toxicity of cadmium to two euryhaline fish species. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology, 214, pp.23-27.
- Bielmyer-Fraser, G.K., Patel, P., Capo, T. and Grosell, M., 2018. Physiological responses of corals to ocean acidification and copper exposure. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 133, pp.781-790.
- Kirkly, J.A., Bielmyer-Fraser, G.K., Elder, J.F. and Bechler, D.L., 2018. The Alapahoochee watershed microgeographic structure and its potential influence on metal concentrations and genetic structure in the Florida cottonmouth, Agkistrodon piscivorus conanti, within the watershed. Environmental monitoring and assessment, 190(4), p.220.
- Wang, L., Yue, X., Liu, Y., Wang, J. and Wang, H. 2019. An Intelligent Vision Based Sensing Approach for Spraying Droplets Deposition Detection. Sensors, 19(4), p.933.
- Aydin, B., Selvi, E., Tao, J. and Starek, M.J., 2019. Use of Fire-Extinguishing Balls for a Conceptual System of Drone-Assisted Wildfire Fighting. Drones, 3(1), p.17.
- Sun, Z., Wang, H., Liu, B., Li, C., Pan, X. and Nie, Y., 2018. CS-FCDA: A Compressed Sensing-Based on Fault-Tolerant Data Aggregation in Sensor Networks. Sensors, 18(11), p.3749.
- Wang, J., Li, J., Wang, H., Zhang, L.Y., Cheng, L.M. and Lin, Q., 2018. Dynamic Scalable Elliptic Curve Cryptographic Scheme and Its Application to In-Vehicle Security. IEEE Internet of Things Journal.
- J. Li, G. Feng, W. Wei, C. Luo, H. Wang, H. Song, Z. Ming, 2018. Automatic Classification of Fetal Heart Rate Based on Convolutional Neural Network. IEEE Internet of Things Journal.
- Lane, W.B. and Adhikari, R.Y. 2019. Evaluating the presence of response-shift bias in the CLASS with a two-pass survey. Physics Education Research Conference 2018.
- Lane, W.B., 2018. Using Dice Towers in an Introductory Physics Lab. The Physics Teacher, 57(1), pp.28-30.
- Mulamba, T., Bacopoulos, P., Kubatko, E.J. and Pinto, G.F., 2019. Sea-level rise impacts on longitudinal salinity for a low-gradient estuarine system. Climatic Change, pp.1-18.
- Penwell, William and L.A. Actis. Isolation and characterization of the acinetobactin and baumannoferrin siderophores produced by Acinetobacter baumannii. In Methods in Molecular Biology (Ed. I. Biswas and P.N.. Rather). Springer, NY. 338 pp.
- Goldberg, N, *Dannenhoffer, K, McCarthy, D. 2018. Changes in algal diversity along nearshore hardbottom habitats of Palm Beach County, FL: indications of a community in decline? Florida Scientist, 81, pp.170-179. *Marine Science Graduate Student
- Schulze Chretien, L.M. and Speer, K., 2018. Observing Plumes and Overturning Cells with a New Coastal Bottom Drifter. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 35(8), pp.1675-1686.
- Schulze Chretien, L.M. and Frajka-Williams, E., 2018. Wind-driven transport of fresh shelf water into the upper 30m of the Labrador Sea. Ocean Science, 14(5), pp.1247-1264.
- Schulze Chretien, L.M. and Speer, K., 2018. A deep eastern boundary current in the Chile Basin. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans.
- Smukall, M.J., Kessel, S.T., Franks, B.R., Feldheim, K.A., Guttridge, T.L. and Gruber, S.H., 2018. No apparent negative tagging effects after 13 years at liberty for lemon shark, Negaprion brevirostris implanted with acoustic transmitter. Journal of fish biology.
- Goldberg, N.A., Trent, T. and Hendrickson, J., 2018. Temporal and Spatial Changes in Vallisneria americana Michaux (Tape-grass) Beds in the Lower St. Johns River, Florida, from 2002–2011. Southeastern Naturalist, 17(3), pp.396-410.