Faculty & Student Activities
Biology and Marine Science
- BBB (Beta Beta Beta), National Biological Honor Society, President Francis Alip, firstname.lastname@example.org
- ECO/SOS, Environmental Conservation Organization/Student Oceanic Society, President Pamela Pacheco, email@example.com
- JUMPS (JU Medical Professionals Society), President Gisselle Moreno, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Red Cross, President Maxwell Peterson, email@example.com
- Rho Rho Rho (Marine Science and Atmospheric Honor Society), President Anna Tripp, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dolphin Divers, President Bianca Wong-Rodriguez, email@example.com
- Colleges Against Cancer, President Catlynne Keet, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chemistry Society (American Chemical Society), President Ksenja Llazar, email@example.com
- Computing Science Club, President Jeremy Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engineering Club, President Anya Plummer, email@example.com
- Phintech Club, President Nicolas Schmelzer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mathematics Society, President Taylor McRae, email@example.com
- Outing Club, President Taylor McRae, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pi Mu Epsilon Mathematics Honor Society, President Chase Wassel, email@example.com
Congratulations to Alyssa Girod for being awarded the Dr. Pam Crawford Endowed Scholarship! The scholarship recognizes a deserving undergraduate woman who is majoring in mathematics with preference given to a rising Junior or Senior.
Congratulations to members of the Software Engineering Class: Carolyn O’Neal, Jeremy Parker, Brittney Waldrop, Gabriel Nackashi, and faculty sponsor Dr. Zeng from Computing Science for winning the 2019 Community Impact Competition– College of Arts and Sciences. Their project is entitled 'Developing a Web-Based Youth Profiling System' for the nonprofit “Krumpin 4 Success.” Krumpin 4 Success, Inc. is an organization dedicated to decreasing risk-taking behaviors & youth recidivism through providing creative, artistic activities. For more information, click this link: Krumpin 4 Success.
Congratulations to Kelechi Akwataghibe, a senior Honors student double majoring in MATH and CS, on scoring positively on the December 2018 William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition (“the Putnam”). This is the second year that Kelechi has scored positively on the Putnam. He plans on attending graduate school in the Fall. The exam is sponsored by the Mathematical Association of America and is 'the leading university-level mathematics examination in the world.' The competition consists of two 3-hour sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. During each session, participants work individually on 6 challenging mathematical problems.
Biology major Jarvis Strickland was awarded best undergraduate research presentation for his work "Surveillance of Maryland white-tailed deer for vector-borne parasites” presented at the Southeastern Society of Parasitology conference!
Click on the picture to learn about the student-designed flow system for us in the Division of Science and Mathematics.
Division of Science & Mathematics Student of the Year– Kelechi Akwataghibe
Academic Excellence Award in Biology— Janel Clarisse Palomo and Maya Fisher
Outstanding Student of the Year in Biology— Jarvis Strickland and Kasey Williams
Chemistry Student of the Year— Ruth Adeyemi
Golightly Award in Computing Science (Outstanding Student)— Kelechi Akwataghibe
Student of the Year in Engineering— Patrick Taylor
Engineering Service Award— Johnny Villegas
Academic Excellence Award in Marine Science— Ashlyne Miller and Sean Wilms
Golightly Award in Mathematics (Outstanding Student)– Kelechi Akwataghibe
Physics Student of the Year– Courtney Purcell
2019 - 2020
Congratulations to Dr. Lane's (Physics) appointment to the American Association of Physics Teachers' Undergraduate Education Area Committee! This is an exciting opportunity to help shape physics education and represent JU on a national level.
JU Collaborate Grant, EPIC:
Dr. Zeng (Computing Science), Dr. Bamford and Dr. McGraw “Human Behavior Studies using Eye Tracker and EEG”
Equipment Grant, EPIC:
Dr. Zeng (Computing Science): "Human Computer Interaction labs and research based on eye tracker and EEG"
Dr. Ouellette and Dr. Penwell (Biology): "Enhancement of spectrophotometer capabilities"
Dr. Bielmyer-Fraser (Chemistry), Dr. Hausenblas (Kinesiology), and Dr. Ouellette (Chemistry & Biology and Marine Science): "Assessing Plant Growth and Development After Exposure to Natural Frequency Technology® and Contaminants"
Dr. Stalker (Marine Science) and Dr. Ayodogan (Engineering): “Design and Testing of a Hydrokinetic Flume Tank"
Dr. Franks (Marine Science) and Dr. Stephenson (Aviation): “OCEARCH Support with Unmanned Aircraft Systems”
Summer of Scholarship Grant:
Dr. Vanderhoff (Biology and Marine Science): "More Animals or More Spots: Dual Conservation Goals and Camera Angle"
Dr. Bielmyer-Fraser (Chemistry): "Microplastics in Marine Organisms"
- Goldberg, N., Atkins, L. C. (2020). Community Partners as Service-Learning Co-Leaders. Collaborations: A Journal of Community-Based Research and Practice, 3(1): 2, 1–11. https://doi.org/10.33596/coll.50
- Sarraf, R. and McGuire, M.P., 2020. Integration and Comparison of Multi-Criteria Decision Making Methods in Safe Route Planner. Expert Systems with Applications, p.113399. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2020.113399
- Li, J., Wang, S., Li, Y., Wang, H., Wang, H., Wang, H., Chen, J., You, Z., 2019. An Efficient Attribute-Based Encryption Scheme with Policy Update and File Update in Cloud Computing. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.PP(99):1-1 · July 2019. DOI: 10.1109/TII.2019.2931156.
- Yang, J., Wen, J., Wang, Y., Jiang, B., Wang, H., Song, H. 2019. Fog-based Marine Environmental Information Monitoring Towards Ocean of Things. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. DOI: 10.1109/JIOT.2019.2946269.
- Lane, W. B., 2019.Making Animations with Potential Energy. Partnership for Integration of Computation into Undergraduate Physics (PICUP) Collection, September 2019.
- Adhikari, R.Y., *Terrell, J., *Targos, J., *Huffman, K.A., Wang, H. and Cradlebaugh, J., 2019. Electrical characterization of leaf-based wires & supercapacitors. RSC Advances, 9(47), pp.27289-27293. *JU undergraduate research students
2018 - 2019
Dr. Nancarrow (Mathematics) was awarded Jacksonville University Student Involvement “Outstanding Advisor of the Year." The award was based on his contributions to the Outing Club. Dr. Conway (Biology and Marine Science) was awarded the Tim Shakespeare Staff Award.
- Siddiqui, S. and Bielmyer-Fraser, G.K., 2019. Accumulation and Effects of Dissolved and Nanoparticle Silver and Copper in Two Marine Seaweed Species. Georgia Journal of Science, 77(2), p.1.
- Bielmyer-Fraser, G.K., Harper, B., Picariello, C. and Albritton-Ford, A., 2018. The influence of salinity and water chemistry on acute toxicity of cadmium to two euryhaline fish species. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology, 214, pp.23-27.
- Bielmyer-Fraser, G.K., Patel, P., Capo, T. and Grosell, M., 2018. Physiological responses of corals to ocean acidification and copper exposure. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 133, pp.781-790.
- Kirkly, J.A., Bielmyer-Fraser, G.K., Elder, J.F. and Bechler, D.L., 2018. The Alapahoochee watershed microgeographic structure and its potential influence on metal concentrations and genetic structure in the Florida cottonmouth, Agkistrodon piscivorus conanti, within the watershed. Environmental monitoring and assessment, 190(4), p.220.
- Wang, L., Yue, X., Liu, Y., Wang, J. and Wang, H. 2019. An Intelligent Vision Based Sensing Approach for Spraying Droplets Deposition Detection. Sensors, 19(4), p.933.
- Aydin, B., Selvi, E., Tao, J. and Starek, M.J., 2019. Use of Fire-Extinguishing Balls for a Conceptual System of Drone-Assisted Wildfire Fighting. Drones, 3(1), p.17.
- Sun, Z., Wang, H., Liu, B., Li, C., Pan, X. and Nie, Y., 2018. CS-FCDA: A Compressed Sensing-Based on Fault-Tolerant Data Aggregation in Sensor Networks. Sensors, 18(11), p.3749.
- Wang, J., Li, J., Wang, H., Zhang, L.Y., Cheng, L.M. and Lin, Q., 2018. Dynamic Scalable Elliptic Curve Cryptographic Scheme and Its Application to In-Vehicle Security. IEEE Internet of Things Journal.
- J. Li, G. Feng, W. Wei, C. Luo, H. Wang, H. Song, Z. Ming, 2018. Automatic Classification of Fetal Heart Rate Based on Convolutional Neural Network. IEEE Internet of Things Journal.
- Lane, W.B. and Adhikari, R.Y. 2019. Evaluating the presence of response-shift bias in the CLASS with a two-pass survey. Physics Education Research Conference 2018.
- Lane, W.B., 2018. Using Dice Towers in an Introductory Physics Lab. The Physics Teacher, 57(1), pp.28-30.
- Graham, D.B., Luo, C., O’Connell, D.J., Lefkovith, A., Brown, E.M., Yassour, M., Varma, M., Abelin, J.G., Conway, K.L., Jasso, G.J. and Matar, C.G., 2018. Antigen discovery and specification of immunodominance hierarchies for MHCII-restricted epitopes. Nature Medicine, 24(11), p.1762.
- Lavoie, S., Conway, K.L., Lassen, K.G., Jijon, H.B., Pan, H., Chun, E., Michaud, M., Lang, J.K., Comeau, C.A.G., Dreyfuss, J.M. and Glickman, J.N., 2019. The Crohn’s disease polymorphism, ATG16L1 T300A, alters the gut microbiota and enhances the local Th1/Th17 response. eLife, 8, p.e39982.
- Mulamba, T., Bacopoulos, P., Kubatko, E.J. and Pinto, G.F., 2019. Sea-level rise impacts on longitudinal salinity for a low-gradient estuarine system. Climatic Change, pp.1-18.
- Penwell, William and L.A. Actis. Isolation and characterization of the acinetobactin and baumannoferrin siderophores produced by Acinetobacter baumannii. In Methods in Molecular Biology (Ed. I. Biswas and P.N.. Rather). Springer, NY. 338 pp.
- Goldberg, N, *Dannenhoffer, K, McCarthy, D. 2018. Changes in algal diversity along nearshore hardbottom habitats of Palm Beach County, FL: indications of a community in decline? Florida Scientist, 81, pp.170-179. *Marine Science Graduate Student
- Schulze Chretien, L.M. and Speer, K., 2018. Observing Plumes and Overturning Cells with a New Coastal Bottom Drifter. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 35(8), pp.1675-1686.
- Schulze Chretien, L.M. and Frajka-Williams, E., 2018. Wind-driven transport of fresh shelf water into the upper 30m of the Labrador Sea. Ocean Science, 14(5), pp.1247-1264.
- Schulze Chretien, L.M. and Speer, K., 2018. A deep eastern boundary current in the Chile Basin. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans.
- Smukall, M.J., Kessel, S.T., Franks, B.R., Feldheim, K.A., Guttridge, T.L. and Gruber, S.H., 2018. No apparent negative tagging effects after 13 years at liberty for lemon shark, Negaprion brevirostris implanted with acoustic transmitter. Journal of fish biology.
- Goldberg, N.A., Trent, T. and Hendrickson, J., 2018. Temporal and Spatial Changes in Vallisneria americana Michaux (Tape-grass) Beds in the Lower St. Johns River, Florida, from 2002–2011. Southeastern Naturalist, 17(3), pp.396-410.