School of Social Sciences & EducationSustainability, Geography, and Environmental Planning
About Our Program
The SGEP major is offered as either a B.S. or a B.A. Led by innovative faculty, this interdisciplinary major provides a direct path to a rewarding career in the public or private sector.
Students tailor the degree to their interest by concentrating in one of three tracks:
- Sustainability and Resiliency
- Geography and GIS
- Environmental Planning
Students may concentrate in one, two, or all three areas. Graduates are awarded a certificate(s) of recognition for each concentration completed.
SGEP offers three 15-credit minors that pair well with any major.
- Geography and the Environment
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Get your hands dirty.
The SGEP offers numerous internship, research project, and service-learning opportunities, as well as strong connections to professionals. Explore your options and message the department for more information on how to get started!
- Hands on research, data, and mapping experiences with expert faculty
- Cutting edge technologies such as a DJI drone, an HP Laser Plotter, softwares such as ArcGIS, Python, IBM SPSS, Qualtrics Survey Data collection, and more
- Strong partnerships with the JU Marine Science Research Institute, St. Johns Riverkeeper, JU Public Policy Institute
- An expansive network of invaluable internships
- International education and study abroad opportunities to Cuba, Ecuador, the United Kingdom, Turkey, the Philippines, and more
You could intern at:
- Jacksonville Electric Authority
- City of Jacksonville GIS Division
- Jacksonville Transportation Authority
- St. Johns County Public Works
- National Geographic Society
- National Parks Service
- Jacksonville Sheriff's Office
Sustainability, Geography, and Environmental Planning
The Department of Sustainability, Geography, and Environmental Planning is part of the School of Social Sciences & Education within the College of Arts & Sciences.
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Phone: (904) 256-7669