School of Social Sciences & EducationSustainability, Geography, and Environmental Planning
About Our Program
The SGEP major is offered as either a B.S. or a B.A. Led by innovative faculty, this interdisciplinary major provides a direct path to a rewarding career in the public or private sector.
Students tailor the degree to their interest by concentrating in one of three tracks:
- Sustainability and Resiliency
- Geography and GIS
- Environmental Planning
Students may concentrate in one, two, or all three areas. Graduates are awarded a certificate(s) of recognition for each concentration completed.
SGEP offers three 15-credit minors that pair well with any major.
- Geography and the Environment
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Get your hands dirty.
The SGEP offers numerous internship, research project, and service-learning opportunities, as well as strong connections to professionals. Explore your options and message the department for more information on how to get started!
- Hands on research, data, and mapping experiences with expert faculty
- Cutting edge technologies such as a DJI drone, an HP Laser Plotter, softwares such as ArcGIS, Python, IBM SPSS, Qualtrics Survey Data collection, and more
- Strong partnerships with the JU Marine Science Research Institute, St. Johns Riverkeeper, JU Public Policy Institute
- An expansive network of invaluable internships
- International education and study abroad opportunities to Cuba, Ecuador, the United Kingdom, Turkey, the Philippines, and more
You could intern at:
- Jacksonville Electric Authority
- City of Jacksonville GIS Division
- Jacksonville Transportation Authority
- St. Johns County Public Works
- National Geographic Society
- National Parks Service
- Jacksonville Sheriff's Office
"According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of geoscientists is projected to grow five percent from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations."
Sustainability, Geography, and Environmental Planning
The Department of Sustainability, Geography, and Environmental Planning is part of the School of Social Sciences & Education within the College of Arts & Sciences.
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Phone: (904) 256-7669