Invite Family Members to Visit the U.S.

Disclaimer: ISS advisers are unable to write letter of invitation for your family members.

During your studies at JU you may want to invite your parents or other family members to visit. Here are some suggestions to help them apply for a visitor’s visa (B-2) at a US consulate or embassy in their home country.

To facilitate their visa interview process you should do the following: 

  • Write a letter of invitation. Include the purpose of the visit, your relationship to the individuals, a statement of your status here, itinerary details and the length of time they will be visiting (usually less than three months). It is best to emphasize the temporary nature of the invitation and to demonstrate their intention to return to their home country following the visit. If you will provide their financial support while they are here, include that information as well.
    • Many sample letters can be found by searching “sample letter visitor visa graduation” online.
  • Include an Enrollment Verification letter to confirm your student status. Please email the Registrar's Office with JU ID to request this letter: Graduate students who hold an RA/TA appointment may want to also attach a letter from their department regarding their employment.
  • If you are graduating and they are traveling to attend your commencement ceremony, provide details of the Commencement Ceremony.
  • For additional information about U.S. consulate/embassy locations and application procedures, review the U.S. Department of State visa information website

Providing your family members with this documentation may improve their chances of obtaining a visa; however, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of their request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.