Arrival & Post-Arrival
Notes on Port of Entry
The next step in the visa-related process will be entering the U.S. which involves a passport/document inspection at the port of entry. This is the airport where you first land in the U.S., but could also be a seaport or a land port.
It's recommended that students allow ample time between arrival and connecting flights, as students will have to go through immigration and customs inspection at the first point of entry into the U.S.
Be prepared to provide the following documents at the port of entry to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer. Do not put your travel documents in checked luggage.
- Passport (valid for at least 6 months into the future)
- Visa (does not apply to citizens of Canada and Bermuda)
- SEVIS Form I-20 (F-1) for JU
- It is also recommended that you carry with you:
- Evidence of financial resources.
- Paper receipt of SEVIS I-901 Fee.
- Contact information of the JU ISS Office.
Nearest Commercial Airports
- Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) - 30 minutes from campus
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) - 2.5 hours from campus
- If flying into Orlando, students can choose to take a Amtrak Train or Greyhound Bus to get to Jacksonville.
Move-In Day (On-Campus)
Please check your emails regularly leading up to your arrival in the U.S. More likely than not, JU has sent you instructions for move-in, what to bring, where to be, times slots to sign up, etc.
Off-Campus Commuter Students
Students residing off-campus, commonly graduate students or those eligible for Residency Exemptions, are expected to secure their own accommodations while in the U.S. While JU is unable to directly aid in this process, our staff and fellow students may offer suggestions based on their personal experiences. It's important to maintain ongoing communication with your landlord or leasing office for a smooth transition.
- The U.S. government requires all F-1 and J-1 students to officially “check in” with their university when they begin a new program of study in the U.S.
- No appointment or meeting is required — check-in at JU is 100% online. Either complete the documentation link we send you or email us and let us know you're in Jacksonville.
- Please complete the documentation link as soon as you have completed orientation upon arrival at JU.
- Enroll fulltime in JU courses before you complete the immigration check-in. You must have a valid U.S. address of residence as well. We cannot complete your SEVIS registration if you are not registered fulltime.
- If you do not check in with us, we cannot register you in SEVIS. At which point, your record will be auto-terminated.