On-Campus Employment & Social Security


F-1 students are permitted to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during official break periods/vacation terms.

Applying to jobs does not guarantee job placement and a minimum grade point average of 2.0 must be maintained to continue on-campus employment. You may apply, interview, and accept a position on campus, but you will not be able to get paid until you have a social security number. International students are not eligible for the U.S. Federal Work Study Program (FWS).

For a listing of on-campus jobs, check out Handshake or visit Career Management located on the first floor of the Howard Administration Building.

Social Security Number (SSN)

The U.S. Social Security Administration is the government agency that issues SSNs. This number is an identification number issued to all U.S. citizens and to non-immigrants when they are employed in U.S. It is used predominantly for tax purposes. Before seeking a SSN, we advise that students visit the International Student Services office to discuss the application procedure.
We have two U.S. Social Security Administration Offices here in Jacksonville: 
Scheduling an appointment is an option and walk-in times vary from 30 minutes to a few hours. We suggest doing a walk-in and going to an office around 8:45 AM before they open to begin queuing up. Both locations are about 20-25 minutes from campus; an Uber (as of March 2023) is about $25 one-way. 

1685 Dunn Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32218 
Phone: +1.866.635.0789 
TTY: +1.904.696.0772 
Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM

7185 Bentley Road, Jacksonville, FL 32256 
Phone: +1.877.409.8424 
TTY: +1.800.325.0778 
Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM

Documents Required 

  • Social Security Application Form
  • Valid/Original Passport & Visa
  • Original Form I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1)
  • I-94 Arrival Record
  • Proof of Employment: 
    • One of the following:
      • For On-Campus Employment: Employment Verification Form from your employer.
      • For CPT: An original Form I-20 with CPT authorization.
      • For OPT or Economic Hardship: Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
    • SSN Support Letter from your DSO*

*If you secure on-campus employment, your supervisor should complete the Employment Verification Form. Please bring the form to our office on the 3rd floor of Davis Student Commons or email to iss@ju.edu, and we will compose a letter for you to present to the Social Security office.