Transfer, Travel, Departure

Transferring to Another U.S. Higher Education Institution

The following documents needs to be provided to your JU DSO in order to transfer your SEVIS record to your new school. 

  • Written confirmation of acceptance to another Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school.
  • Contact information for the new school’s DSO.
  • The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) school code for the transfer-in school.

Once your transfer release date arrives, the DSO at your previous school will not have access to your SEVIS record, and your new DSO can create a new Form I-20 for you. It is important to get a new Form I-20 (signed by your new DSO and you) as soon as possible. To maintain your status, register for classes and contact your new DSO within 15 days of the program start date listed on your new Form I-20.

JU Transfer-Out Procedure

  1. Complete JU's Institutional Withdrawal Form.
  2. Ensure all financial obligations are taken care of and clear all holds on your account.
  3. If you've already registered for a future semester (after the transfer date) but are now planning to transfer out, please drop all JU classes that you don't plan to attend. 

Travel Outside the U.S. & Reentry

While studying at JU and traveling outside the United States, you need to have proper documents in order to re-enter the United States. 

Prior to departing the U.S. for long breaks, please comply with essential rules to maintain F-1 status:

  1. Carry a valid I-20 with a travel signature from a DSO within the last 12 months (our office recommends getting a new signature every six-nine months).
  2. Check your visa's expiration date; if it's expired, you'll need to renew it at a U.S. embassy or consulate before re-entering the U.S. F-1 students can remain in the U.S. on an expired visa. However, to do so, their I-20 must be up to date and their status maintained.
  3. As a general rule, your passport must be valid for six months beyond the date you exit the U.S. Please renew while you’re home it if it doesn’t meet this criteria.
  4. Plan to return to campus well before the start of the next term, allowing for potential travel delays.

Citizens of certain countries, returning from Canada, Mexico and the adjacent islands may be able to re-enter the US with an expired F-1 visa using Automatic Visa Revalidation.