Pre-Arrival Checklist

Obtaining the Form I-20

Congratulations! You've just been accepted to JU and are eager to begin on next steps.

  • Schedule a Financial Aid Conversation with your Admissions Counselor or Financial Aid Counselor. Not only does JU need to be an academic fit, it must also be a financial fit.
  • Pay the Enrollment Deposit to reserve your spot at JU (non-refundable for some programs and terms).
  • Request your Form I-20 by submitting financial documents, support documents, and your passport after speaking with an ISS advisor. Generally, acceptable proof of funds include liquid assets accounts, education loans, scholarships, and assistantship/fellowships. Non-acceptable sources would include salary, credit cards, insurance policies, and non-liquid assets such as property.
  • If your documents meet the requirements, you will receive your Form I-20.

Note: Completion of admissions next steps (class + housing registrations, advising appointment, submitting immunization records, arranging payment of bill, etc.) is an essential responsibility associated with the receipt of an I-20. We strongly encourage you to prioritize these tasks and maintain open communication with our team to ensure the smooth continuation of your admissions process and compliance with immigration regulations. Failure to adhere to these responsibilities may result in the cancellation of your I-20.

After Receiving the Form I-20

  • Review the U.S. Department of State’s website for application process, consulate locations, fees to be paid, etc. Make an appointment at your local consulate/embassy 
  • Pay the I-901 Fee. This fee is separate from visa fees. 
    • Incoming students with a country of citizenship or country of birth of Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria or Gambia must pay by money order, Western Union Quick Pay or certified check drawn from a U.S. bank. All other prospective students also have the option to make a credit card payment on 
  • Plan travel and look for accomodations if you are not living on campus.
    • Students residing off-campus, commonly graduate students or those eligible for Residency Exemptions, are expected to secure their own accommodations while in the U.S.
  • Ensure payment arrangements are made with JU by deadlines (wire full funds, ACI Payment Plan).


When can I enter the US ? 

  • Using your F-1 Student Visa, the earliest you can enter the US is listed on your I-20.

Program of Study earliest admission date

  • Entering the U.S. earlier than the 30-day window before your program start date is not recommended. 
  • Customs and Border officers will not accept an I-20 and matching F-1 visa before the 30-day window. 
    Students will be required to show either a valid tourist visa or permit to enter under the Visa Waiver Program; AND
  • Students will be required to exit and re-enter the U.S. using your I-20 and F-1 visa stamp to begin studies.