Frequently Asked Questions Information for J-1 Students

I am an international Exchange student.  How do I apply to Jacksonville University?

International undergraduate  or graduate non-degree exchange students who have been nominated  by their home institution to apply to Jacksonville University should complete the online application for international students.

How do I get a J-1 visa to study in the United States?

Students who wish to enter the United States as an International exchange student, they need to obtain a student visa before entering the country.  To obtain a J-1 visa, students must first qualify for a DS-2019 certificate from a United States college or university.  There are three steps to qualifying for a DS-2019 from Jacksonville University.  Students will first need to be nominated by their home institution, accepted to Jacksonville University based on the Partners' agreements.  Students must then provide documentation that they are able to pay for their expenses while studying in the United States.

When will my DS-2019 be mailed?

Once you choose to accept Jacksonville University’s offer of admission​ and your financial documentation is deemed to be sufficient, you will be mailed a DS-2019 certificate of eligibility.​

What type of financial documentation can be provided for the purposes of the DS-2019?

For the purposes of the DS-2019, Jacksonville University requires that students provide original documentation showing that they can finance the expenses during the duration of stay. For example: student support fee, room & board, living expenses, transportation and health insurance.  A confidential financial statement can be provided to Jacksonville University for this purpose.  An original bank letter that is stamped and signed by a bank official will also be acceptable.  Statements of credit, non-liquid assets, and estimates are unacceptable.  If the applicant plans to finance his or her education through a sponsor or a non-parent, statement of support will be required.

I have my DS-2019.  How do I get my visa?

Learn more about this process.

After you have received your DS-2019, your next step is to register in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) and pay the SEVIS fee.  You can do this by visiting  Please be sure to print your receipt of payment.  You should then complete the government form DS-160 by going to  Pay your application fee and make an appointment for a visa interview at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.  Bring your DS-2019 and financial documentation with you to your appointment along with a passport that will be valid for at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S.  During your visa interview, the consular officer at the U.S. embassy or consulate will determine if you are qualified for the type of visa for which you are applying.

Will I be able to work in the United States?

International exchange students on a J-1 visa can work a maximum of 20 hours on campus as part of the University Work Study program.  Employment is not guaranteed.

International exchange students may also qualify for academic training. Please see Advisor for more information.


International Exchange

International Student Services

Related Links


International Student Services

Office location

2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211

Office hours

Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Telephone number

+1 800-225-2027