Frequently Asked Questions Information for F-1 Students

I am an international student.  How do I apply to Jacksonville University?

International undergraduate freshmen and transfer students who wish to apply to Jacksonville University should complete the online application for international students by going to​.  International graduate students should complete the graduate application in their area of discipline.

Does Jacksonville University provide ​scholarships to international students?

High achieving international students are eligible for partial academic merit scholarships based on their academic ability.  Talent based scholarships may also be awarded on a highly selective basis to top performing athletes and fine arts students.

Does Jacksonville University offer courses in English as a Second Language (ESL)?

Jacksonville University has a partnership agreement with Florida State College of Jacksonville.  Undergraduate students who do not quite meet the requirements for general admission based on their level of English proficiency may be selected for the ESL program.  A minimum score of 5.5 on the IELTS or 60 on the TOEFL is required.   Students in the ESL program live on the Jacksonville University campus and are encouraged to participate in all university activities and events.  Transportation to off-campus courses is provided.  Upon the completion of ENC 1101 (English Composition) with a grade of C or higher, students will be updated to degree-seeking status at Jacksonville University.

Do I have to take the SAT or ACT?

No. The SAT ( and the ACT ( are both optional. You do not have to take either one for admission to JU. Scores from either test may be accepted as a way to prove English proficiency​, however.

English is not my first language.  How can I prove English proficiency for general admission?

There are several ways to prove English proficiency​.  Jacksonville University will accept a score of 76 or higher on the TOEFL exam (  A score of 6.0 on the IELTS ( also meets the English proficiency requirement. A score of 51 or higher on PTE Academic can also meet the English Proficinecy requirement. Students who score a 450 or higher on the critical reading portion of the SAT or a 20 or higher on the critical reading portion of the ACT will meet the requirement for English proficiency. Students who have completed an ESL program at a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. can meet the English proficiency requirement if they have completed the program and earned transfer credit for a course in English Composition equivalent to ENGL 103.  A grade of C or higher must be earned.  Students who have 24 or more college-level credits from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. meet the requirement for English proficiency.

I am applying as a freshman.  How do I send my transcripts?

Jacksonville University requires official copies of transcripts.  An official copy is one that has been stamped and signed by your school and placed in a sealed envelope.  If your school is unwilling or unable to mail your documents directly to us, you can place the unopened envelope from your school in a larger envelope for mailing purposes.  Official copies of diplomas, leaving certificates, and finishing examinations should be provided if you have them. If your secondary school transcripts are not in English, you should also provide a certified translation of your documents.​

I am applying as a transfer student.  How do I send my transcripts?

If you are transferring from a college or university that is not regionally accredited in the United States, you will need to request a course-by-course international evaluation.  Jacksonville University recommends World Education Services or ​Josef Silny​. If you have attended a regionally accredited college or university within the United States, please contact the office of the registrar to request that an official copy of your transcripts be mailed to Jacksonville University.  After your admission to Jacksonville University, you will need to communicate with your international advisor for the transfer of your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) record.  Transfer students who have an Associates of Arts degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States will be awarded a minimum of 60 credits.  In addition, all CORE requirements will be waived.

Do I need an international evaluation of my coursework?

Students who have attended a college or university in another country will be required to provide an international course-by-course evaluation.  Please have your evaluation sent directly to Jacksonville University from the evaluation agency.  Jacksonville University recommends World Education Services ( Students who have completed 13 years of secondary education, A-level examinations, or baccalaureate examinations should consider requesting an international evaluation.  Some college credit may be awarded.

How do I get an F-1 visa to study in the United States?

Students who wish to enter the United States for the purposes of education must obtain a student visa before entering the country.  To obtain an F-1 visa, students must first qualify for an I20 certificate from a United States college or university.  There are two steps to qualifying for an I20 from Jacksonville University.  Students will first need to be accepted to Jacksonville University based on their academic ability.  Students must then provide documentation that they are able to pay for their expenses while studying in the United States.

When will my I20 be mailed?

Once you choose to accept Jacksonville University’s offer of admission​ and your financial documentation is deemed to be sufficient, you will be mailed an I20 certificate of eligibility.​

What type of financial documentation can be provided for the purposes of the I20?

For the purposes of the I20, Jacksonville University requires that students provide original documentation showing that they can finance the first year of expenses including tuition, room, board, living expenses, transportation and health insurance.  A confidential financial statement will be provided by all international applicants for this purpose.  An original bank letter that is stamped and signed by a bank official will also be acceptable.  Statements of credit, non-liquid assets, and estimates are unacceptable.  If the applicant plans to finance his or her education through a parent or sponsor, a statement of support will be required.

I have my I20.  How do I get my visa?

After you have received your I20, your next step is to register in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) and pay the SEVIS fee.  You can do this by visiting  Please be sure to print your receipt of payment.  You should then complete the government form DS-160 by going to  Pay your application fee and make an appointment for a visa interview at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.  Bring your I20 and financial documentation with you to your appointment along with a passport that will be valid for at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S.  During your visa interview, the consular officer at the U.S. embassy or consulate will determine if you are qualified for the type of visa for which you are applying.

Will I be able to work in the United States?

International students on an F-1 visa can work a maximum of 20 hours on campus as part of the University Work Study program.  Employment is not guaranteed.

International students may also qualify for a year of practical training employment after graduation.  All employment must be documented and approved through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).


International Exchange

International Student Services

Related Links


International Student Services

Office location

2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211

Office hours

Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Telephone number

+1 800-225-2027