Professional Development

Requesting Funding

Full-time faculty are eligible to apply for funding to attend conferences and events. Funding limits are placed whether attending as an attendee or a presenter. Funding is also based on if the request is for a first or second trip.

Download the Faculty Development Fund Request Form.

  • At least three (3) weeks prior to the trip date, submit your request to the Division Chair and then Dean for signature.
  • Submit the signed form to Academic Affairs for the Provost's final approval.
  • Following the decision by the Provost, each faculty member will be notified by email of either approval or denial and, if approved, how much the request was approved for.

If the request for funding has been approved:

  • The initial notification email will include the amount of funding that has been approved.
  • Read the JU travel policy before the trip to ensure you understand the current rules, especially the requirement for itemized receipts. The travel policy will be attached to the approval email.

Expense Reporting

For information on completing travel advances and/or expense forms, please refer to:

When submitting the expense report (with all original receipts), faculty must also attach a Faculty Development Trip Report.

Travel Expense Report

Complete the form online. Forms filled out by hand cannot be accepted.​ Save the completed form to your hard drive. It will not print until saved. ​Print a hard copy and staple your receipts to it. (Financial Affairs requires original, itemized receipts for expenses and meals. Any restaurant can create an itemized receipt if asked, even if it must be hand written. Example: If you charge a meal to your hotel room or have room service, ask for an itemized receipt that shows what items were ordered. The checkout statement, where your meal is listed as simply “dinner” or “lunch” without specifics, will not work for reimbursement.

Use this online tool if you need to convert your expenses from other currency to the US dollar. Enter the dates of your trip. The web page calculates an average exchange rate for the period of time you traveled. Put the average on the form and attach the web page printout to the expense report as proof of the correct exchange rate.

Faculty Development Trip Report

This is a requirement for reimbursement and further funding. It describes what knowledge you brought back to JU from your funded activity. List seminars/workshops, or other activities that you have presented or will present to your JU colleagues /students using the knowledge gained from your funded activity. A copy of the conference program must also be attached.

Download the Faculty Development Trip Report.

Send the expense report packet hard copy to your division chair and then dean for signatures. Once signed, the dean will forward it to Academic Affairs.

Keep copies of your reimbursement request for your files.

The Controller's Office will send you an email when your check is ready to be picked up.