On-Campus Employment

​F-1 students are permitted to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and up to 30 hours per week during official break periods.

Applying to jobs does not guarantee job placement and a minimum grade point average of 2.0 must be maintained to continue on-campus employment. You may apply, interview, and accept a position on campus, but you will not be able to get paid until you have a social securiy number. International students are not eligible for the United States Federal College Work Program; this program is for United States citizens only.

For a listing of on-campus jobs, check out Handshake or visit the Student Success Center located on the first floor of the Howard Administration Building.

The U.S. Social Security Administration is the government agency that issues the social security number. This number is an identification number issued to all U.S. citizens and to non-immigrants when they are employed in United States. It is used predominantly for tax purposes. Before seeking a social security number, we advise that students visit the International Student Services office to discuss the application procedure.


We have two U.S. Social Security Administration Offices here in Jacksonville:

Scheduling an appointment is advisable as walk-in times vary from 30 minutes to a few hours.

1685 Dunn Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32218
Phone: +1.866.635.0789
TTY: +1.904.696.0772
Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM

7185 Bentley Road, Jacksonville, FL 32256
Phone: +1.877.409.8424
TTY: +1.800.325.0778
Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM


Documents Required

  • Social Security Application Form
  • Valid Passport & Visa
  • Original Form I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1)
  • I-94 Arrival Record
  • Proof of On-Campus Employment:
    • Employment Verification Form from your On-Campus Employer
    • SSN Support Letter from your DSO*
    • For CPT: An original Form I-20 with CPT authorization.
    • For OPT or Economic Hardship: Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

*If you secure on-campus employment, your supervisor should complete the Employment Verification Form.  Please bring the form to our office on the 3rd floor of Davis Student Commons or email to iss@ju.edu, and we will compose a letter for you to present to the Social Security office.