Employee Recognition Programs
Developed and maintained in cooperation with the JU Employee Recognition Committee.
- Chair: E'Lisa Green, Sr. HR Generalist
- Members: Misty Pippin, Roger Palmer, Jamie Albert, Casanna Jackson, Susan Hyatt, Lauren Outler
- The Jacksonville University Employee Recognition program was created to recognize excellence in the areas of quality service, process improvement, teamwork and to acknowledge longstanding commitment to the University. The program comprises several aspects, including those described below:
Employee of the Month criteria
Effective date: January 3, 2023
The Employee Recognition Program has been established to recognize employees who contribute to the overall mission and commitment to the core values of the university.
The Program is administered by the Office of People & Culture. A selection committee composed of members of various university departments reviews the nominations and selects the winner each month. The nominee’s eligibility will be confirmed by the supervisor prior to being named as the recipient of the award.
A nominee for the award must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a full-time or part-time employee
- Must be employed for at least one (1) year
- Has not been selected as Employee of the Month within the past twelve (12) months
- Must not have any documented corrective action within the past twelve (12) months
The program provides monthly recognition of an employee who demonstrates:
- an outstanding accomplishment that benefited the department/students/university
- extraordinary service to internal and/or external customers
- exemplary efforts to nurture a climate of care, concern, and civility
- creative innovations to service, process, or work tools
- a positive attitude toward work responsibilities, co-workers, and customers
- serves as a role model for others
- a commitment to quality in carrying out job responsibilities, and is an asset to the staff of their department/university
- a willingness to take initiative, and accepts and carries out additional responsibilities beyond regular job assignments
- All nominations must be submitted electronically by using the online form (Employee of the Month Submission Form) and received by the committee by the twentieth of the month prior in order to be
considered for the current month’s award. The winner will be announced at the beginning
of the following month.
- For example, nominations submitted between September 21st-October 20th will be reviewed by the Employee of the Month Committee the last week of the month and announced in November.
- The Employee of the Month committee will review nominations and select a winner based on the above criteria. If a committee member is nominated, they will be excused from voting that month.
- The Office of People & Culture shall make the initial appointment of the necessary number of committee members.
- Nominations may be made by anyone with an active affiliation with the university (i.e., employees and students).
- Any eligible employee may be nominated more than once, however, will only be eligible to win the award once within a twelve (12) month period.
- Nomination pools will not roll over. Former nominees may be nominated again.
- The nominator does not have to be the supervisor or director of the respective department; however, the nominator must be someone who has direct knowledge of the employee’s contributions.
- Supervisors are asked to not request departmental employees to submit nominations. If you are a supervisor, please do not request that your department employees submit nominations for a particular colleague. Note that if you are in violation of this program, this may result in the nominee’s submission becoming ineligible.
- No anonymous submissions will be accepted.
Award recipients shall receive:
- A certificate signed by President Cost
- A $50.00 cash award
- An additional personal day off
- Campus-wide recognition
If someone you know portrays these kinds of qualities or has done something above and beyond normal duties, nominate them for Employee of the Month.
Employee of the Month Nomination Form
All full and part-time staff/administrative employees will receive recognition for continuous service to the University at five-year increments. Individuals can select award material from a service award vendor which has a variety of awards from which to select. The value of the award increases with the years of completed service. These individuals will receive recognition in JU Today, as well as at the University-wide cookout.
Jacksonville University recognizes that its employees play a significant role in determining the success of the University. They understand best the day to day work of the University and are in a good position to offer suggestions that might lead to improvements in institutional quality, operations, and/or services. Therefore the University encourages its employees to submit their IDEAS and suggestions for consideration. All full-time staff/administrative employees who submit a significant suggestion, which is adopted, to the President’s Ideas Program will receive recognition. The Superior Ideas Awards will be recognized at the University-wide Spring cookout. Ideas, which fall in to the following, are eligible for consideration:
- Significantly improve current methods, procedures, or systems;
- Significantly improve public relations, employee relations, or student service;
- Significantly increase productivity or efficiency;
- Significantly reduce or eliminate cost, time, space, materials or supplies;
- Significantly improve working conditions with respect to safety, health, or sanitation;
- Significantly improve internal or external communication;
- Significantly improve environmental and energy savings.
Employees must complete the IDEAS Program form providing a detailed description of the current situation, a description of the IDEA, and how it would benefit the University. Submission of IDEAS by a group is also encouraged. IDEAS will be reviewed on a monthly basis. Those employees submitting ideas, which are implemented by the University, will be considered for recognition.