The study of French helps prepare students for life in a global 21st century.
Spoken in over 43 countries across Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas, French is truly a world language. With over 220 million speakers, French is projected by some to be the world's most spoken language by 2050.
The French major is perfect for students interested in:
- Pursuing careers in international law, business, or government service;
- Going into teaching, healthcare, or other fields that are increasingly connected to our local, immigrant communities;
- Teaching French at the elementary or secondary level; or
- A general humanistic education based on the language and literature of the French-speaking world
Why Study French in Jacksonville?
Did you know that one of the very first French attempts at colonizing the New World was right here in Jacksonville, near the mouth of the St. John's River? Named Fort Caroline after King Charles IX, the settlement was founded by Huguenots fleeing religious persecution in 1564. Though the settlers were ultimately massacred by Spaniards from nearby St. Augustine, the site remains an important reminder of the French presence in the area.
News and Announcements
- Dr. Caudill awarded the 2023 Faculty Excellence Award in University Service
- Amanda Bacallao (French/Spanish, '23) named 2023 Frances Bartlett Kinne Student Woman of the Year
- Sommer Marroquin (Accounting, '24, French minor) visits Germany for Spring Break as a study abroad opportunity with the Kinesiology Department
- Joseph Brantley (Music/French, '23) performs in Miribilia, a concert of medieval music through the Catedral Cuenca (Cuenca, Spain)
- MIDN 1/C Amanda Bacallao (French/Spanish, '23) completes US Marine Corps Officer Candidate School
- Le Cercle Francophone wins the Student Organization Award of the Year for the second time in three years (2020, 2022)
- Dr. Caudill named 2022 Faculty Woman of the Year
- Dr. Caudill named 2021 Faculty Excellence Award winner in Teaching
- Le Cercle Francophone wins the 2020 France on Campus Award from the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the U.S.
- National French Week 2019 featured in News at Jacksonville University
- French-PoliSci double major Emlia Santana ('21) talks to us about her recent Study Abroad experience in France and beyond!
- Le Cercle Francophone co-hosts the JU Honors Summit celebrating France
Dr. Tamara Bentley Caudill
Associate Professor of French
email@example.com | Council 132 | 904.256.7103