Jacksonville University’s chapters of the National Student Speech Language and Hearing Association (NSSLHA) aim to encourage professional interest among college and university students in the study of human communication sciences and disorders, offer continuity to the dissemination of professional information, and provide a vehicle for student representation in matters of professional concern. JU NSSLHA also aims to engage in opportunities for outreach in the North Florida area.
Students who join NSSLHA can look forward to involvement with our undergraduate and graduate Communication Sciences and Disorders students, as well as opportunities to volunteer and participate in events on-campus, locally, and nationally. Some examples of activities that NSSLHA members have participated in include:
- on-campus student association fairs
- participation in community speech, language, and hearing screenings
- volunteerism at fundraising events for local and national charitable organizations
- opportunities to attend guest speaker and continuing education events
- advocacy events at the national level through our affiliation with the national chapter
There are two chapters of JU NSSLHA: One for students who attend our Jacksonville location and one for students who attend our Palm Coast location. In 2021, our Jacksonville chapter earned chapter Gold Status at the national NSSLHA level, and both our Jacksonville and Palm Coast chapters strive to continue the trend in years to come! Students interested in joining JU NSSLHA can contact Dr. Kristen Izaryk (firstname.lastname@example.org), Faculty Advisor for the Jacksonville chapter, or Professor Bethany Walker (email@example.com), Faculty Advisor for the Palm Coast chapter.