Pathways to Speech Language Pathology Online
About the Program
Jacksonville University’s award-winning Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences is now offering Pathways to Speech Language Pathology. During the course of one semester, you’ll complete all of your coursework online.
Pathways to Speech Language Pathology is specifically designed for students who have completed a baccalaureate degree in a field other than Communication Sciences and Disorders and need to complete specific required coursework before applying to a Master’s program in SLP. The courses meet the pre-admission requirements necessary for consideration and potential admission into a SLP accredited university in the United States and can be completed in the Summer of 2023.
- CSD 204: Phonetics
- CSD 205: Speech & Language Development:
- CSD 404: Speech & Hearing Science
- CSD 314: Anatomy & Physiology/Neuroanatomy
- CSD 350: Speech & Language Disorders
- CSD 400: Clinical Observation
Virtual Information Session
We do not have any additional sessions scheduled for the 2023 Pathways to SLP Online program at this time. When next available, sign up to learn more about how you can take the necessary pre-requisite courses to apply for graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology!
Why Choose Our Program?
- Students completing the Pathways to SLP program with a 3.0 GPA or higher are guaranteed a priority interview for JU's Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology program should they choose to apply
- Historically, 100% of the SLP Pathways students who have applied to JU's MS in SLP program were admitted
- Students can customize their program based on their academic needs and choose to study the 3, 4 or 5 courses they need
- All courses are offered online, providing students with the highest level of flexibility. Students will have 16-weeks to complete their summer coursework
- The prerequisite coursework with JU and the SLP Pathways program, prepares students for Speech-Language Pathology programs nationwide
- The optional study abroad trip in Sorrento, Italy, offers students international experiential learning and better prepares them for their future career
- US News and World Report #6 Best Healthcare job
- “Employment of speech-language pathologists is projected to grow 27 percent from 2018
to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations.”
Reasons for Growth
- Older Populations—The expanding population in older age groups is prone to medical conditions that result in speech, language, and swallowing problems.
- Retirees—An expected increase in retirements throughout the coming years should create excellent job opportunities for speech-language pathologists.
- Increased Survival Rates—Medical advances are improving the survival rate of premature infants and trauma and stroke victims, who then need assessment and possible treatment.
- Early Identification and Diagnosis—Greater awareness of the importance of early identification and diagnosis of speech, language, and swallowing disorders in young children will increase employment.
- Increased School Enrollments—Employment in educational services will increase along with growth in elementary and secondary school enrollments, including the enrollment of special education students. Federal law guarantees special education and related services to all eligible children with disabilities.
- Need for Contract Services—The number of speech-language pathologists in private practice will rise due to the increasing use of contract services by hospitals, schools, and nursing care facilities.
- Bilingualism—Many opportunities exist for those with the ability to speak a second language. https://www.asha.org/Careers/Market-Trends/
How to Apply
- This program first requires acceptance into Jacksonville University.
- Click here for the program application instructions.
- Click below to begin your application.
- Upon acceptance, you will receive further information from the department of Communication Sciences & Disorders..
Priority Deadline for Course Registration
- February 13, 2023
Final Deadline for Course Registration
- April 17, 2023
May 1- July 28, 2023
Italy Field Experience in Sorrento, Italy
Are you interested in studying abroad with Pathways to Speech Language Pathology? Learn more about this innovative program.