Career Planning & Job Opportunities
Job opportunities in biology include teaching at the elementary or secondary level; museum education and exhibit coordinators; sales representatives for biological supply companies, pharmaceutical companies or publishers of science books; science journalism; and laboratory or field technician. Depending on what you choose to specialize in, you may be working in a classroom, research laboratory, or in an outdoor setting.
Jacksonville University biology graduates have gone on to successful careers in a variety of areas. Some of their employers include the Florida Department of Environmental Protection; Florida Division of Parks and Recreation; Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission; the Florida Marine Research Institute; the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; the National Aquarium in Baltimore, Maryland; and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Many students go on to graduate school in biology, zoology, or a related field such as public health or environmental science. In addition, many students choose to pursue professional degrees in medicine, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy or veterinary science, or enroll in physical therapy or kinesiology programs. Students who want to pursue graduate study should take advantage of opportunities to do undergraduate research and assist in labs.
Please click this link Career Resource Center for internships, job postings, resume building, and much much more!
- Careers in Marine Biology from NOAAs Southwest Fisheries Science Center
- Marine Science Careers from Sea Grant
- Centers for Disease Control
- American Institute of Biological Sciences: Careers in the Biological Sciences
- Ecology as a career (with links to jobs boards)
- Schools of Public Health
- U.S. Federal Government Job postings in Biological Sciences ( aka U.S.A. Jobs)
- Working for the Environmental Protection Agency
- Science Writing
- Career Planning Guides from the National Academies
- Requirements for specific Veterinary Schools from the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges website
- Medical School information from the Association of American Medical Colleges
- Acceptance Rates for Medical School applicants by GPA and MCAT scores
- Dental career info from the American Dental Association
- Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry
- Physical Therapist Education Overview by the American Physical Therapy Association
- Becoming a PA by the American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Osteopathic Medicine & Becoming an Osteopathic Physician by the American Assoc. of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
- Pharmacy School Admission Requirements from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy