Travel and Re-Entry

​Whenever you plan to travel outside the United States, please be sure to follow these procedures:

  • Check that your passport and visa are valid. If your passport has expired, you will need to return to your home country to renew your passport before you may re-enter the United States. Your passport should be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date of re-entry.
  • As a continuing student at Jacksonville University, if your student visa stamp in your passport has expired and you leave the U.S., you will need to renew it at a U.S. embassy/consulate abroad.  You may not be able to re-enter the U.S. to continue your program of study at JU without obtaining a new visa. (Special circumstances apply if you are traveling to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean and will be gone less than 30 days. Consult the International Student Advisor for more information on this condition.)
  • Verify that the information on your I-20 or DS-2019 is correct.
  • Bring your I-20 to the International Student Advisor at least one week before your date of departure (two weeks prior to departure during busy travel times, such as the end of each semester and before Spring Break).
  • While you are outside the United States, take great care not to lose any of your documents. You will need them to re-enter the United States.​