Internship Requirements For Employers
Internships are a great way to recruit talent for your organization. the opportunity to observe an intern in the actual working environment for a significant period of time is much more valuable than making a long term decision based solely on the interview process. See below for information on how you can hire an intern from Jacksonville University!
We use Handshake to manage our internship approval process on campus. All Internships are recorded through Handshake as an "Experience", whether for academic credit or for zero credit. Either way, the Internship will appear on the student's transcript. Using Handshake allows us to:
- Capture all the internships that our students are completing
- Accurately determine which internships are qualifying for academic credit
- Follow trends of internships, and make connections with companies hiring our students
If you are not currently in our Handshake system, that's the best way to connect with our students! Register as an Employer.
Ideal Internship Opportunities
At Jacksonville University, we seek internship opportunities that will:
- Develop Specific Skills like Critical thinking, Communication, Teamwork & Diversity.
- Promote a Safe Work Environment for our students. For safety reasons, interns are not allowed to work out of individuals' homes, and door-to-door canvassing/sales is specifically prohibited.
- Help Students Discover their Passion in any field. Regardless of major or path of study, our students benefit so much from real-world work experience!
Internship Review Process
For internship proposals seeking to qualify for academic credit, an Experience must be requested by the student in Handshake. Our office reviews the student's request and begins the approval process for the Internship. Our internship approval process will include reviews by you (Employer Supervisor), the student's Faculty Advisor, the Department Chair, the Dean, and finally the Registrar's office.
Most internships coincide with one of our academic terms (fall, spring or summer semester). Students must register for their academic internships by posted registration deadlines each term. This date typically falls during the first week of classes for each term. Note that it is not unusual to take up to two weeks for internship requests to be fully approved by all parties.
Also note that 45 hours of internship work count as 1 credit hour.
Students will need some basic information about the internship opportunity in order to complete their request for an academic internship. Learn more about the needed information.
We adhere to the national standards for internships set forth by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), and we will review internship requests accordingly.
For any questions, please contact the Career Management Team at email@example.com or (904) 256-7054.