The prerequisites listed below are required by ASHA for clinical certification. Students must complete these courses prior to enrolling in courses for the master's program in speech-language pathology at JU regardless of undergraduate major.
- Physical science course – Introductory Chemistry or Introductory Physics
- Statistics – This must be a standard statistics course; e.g., Quantitative Methods for Social Sciences or Introduction to Statistics and Research Methods. This must be a non-CSD course offering.
- Biological Science course (human or animal sciences) – one of the following:
- Human anatomy and physiology*
- Human genetics
- Veterinary science
- Social/Behavioral Sciences –a course under one of the following main academic headings:
- Public Health
* CSD courses in these areas will not satisfy the above requirements
In addition to the above requirements, if an applicant has a Bachelor's degree in a major other than communication sciences and disorders, completion of the below prerequisite courses with a grade of "B" or better is necessary:
- Intro to Speech Production Disorders
- Speech Anatomy & Physiology
- Speech and Language Development
- Clinical Observation**
**Students must complete a minimum of 25 hours of clinical observation "prior to beginning direct contact with clients/patients. The observation hours must be within the ASHA Scope of Practice of Speech-Language Pathology and must be under the supervision of a qualified professional who holds current ASHA certification in the appropriate practice area. " (ASHA, 2014 standards) The student must have signed, written documentation from the supervisor verifying the number of hours observed. JU must be able to verify the supervisor's ASHA certification number and state license number in order to provide verification of these hours to ASHA.
Prerequisites at JU
Jacksonville University offers the required CSD prerequisites on-campus for post-baccalaureate students who are interested in applying for the MS SLP program. Please contact Pamela Adrian to inquire about the prerequisites at email@example.com.
Online Coursework/Field Work in Sorrento, Italy
Jacksonville University has partnered with Sant'anna Institute to offer Pathways to Speech Language Pathology: a prerequisite program required for application and admission into a SLP Master of Science. Coursework is completed online, with a culminating field and study experience in Sorrento, Italy. For additional information, please contact Ashlea Rieser at firstname.lastname@example.org.