Frequently Asked Questions

I have completed my pre-requisite courses at another university, will they satisfy Jacksonville University's pre-requisites for the MS in Speech Language Pathology program?

Yes, coursework completed at another institution will fulfill our pre-requisites if the courses cover the content we require in the following classes: Speech Anatomy and Physiology, Language Development/Acquisition, Introduction to Speech Production Disorders, Acoustics/Speech Science, Phonetics, Hearing Sciences/Audiology, Neuroanatomy and Clinical Observation.  

If I take the pre-requisite courses through Jacksonville University, am I guaranteed a spot in the MS SLP program?

No. Taking the pre-requisite courses through Jacksonville University will not guarantee acceptance into the program at Jacksonville University. The pre-requisite courses are designed to prepare non-CSD majors for the typical graduate admissions requirements in Speech Language Pathology, though exact requirements may vary from institution to institution. If you plan to apply to additional graduate programs, it is recommended that you check with them on what courses they will accept.

Am I required to enroll in a Physics or Chemistry course to fulfill the Physical Science pre-requisite?

Yes, according to ASHA Standard IV, a Physical Science course is a course in the areas of either Physics or Chemistry. We do not accept any other science courses as fulfilling this requirement. 

I am in the process of completing my pre-requisite courses, can I still apply even though I have not finished the classes?

Yes, if you are going to be finished with the courses prior to the start of the term for which you are applying. 

I have one or two pre-requisites left, can I take them during my first semester in the program?

No. All pre-requisite coursework must be completed prior to starting in our program.

Where do I send supplemental application materials?

Materials such as transcripts and test scores should be sent to: 
Jacksonville University
Office of Admissions
2800 University Blvd N.
Jacksonville, FL 32211 

How many students are accepted into the program?

Once a year, we accept approximately 30-34 students in both Jacksonville and Palm Coast to begin our graduate program in the Fall semester.

Can I apply as a part-time student to this program?

No. Currently only a full time track is available. You can view the course progression by clicking the "Curriculum" link on the left side of the screen.

Does Jacksonville University have an on campus Speech Clinic?

No. Jacksonville University and the Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences have partnerships with a variety of community based facilities that supervise our students in their practicum and internship experiences. These partnerships include local hospitals, public school divisions, and private practices. This affords our students the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of settings and work with different populations and diagnoses. 

Will I be able to work part-time if I am a full time student in this program?

Yes, provided your employer gives you a flexible schedule. Most clinics will require that you be on-site between 10 and 20 hours per week for practicum and internship. If you must maintain employment during the program, it is often easiest to work part time in the evenings or on weekends in order to participate fully in clinical experiences. You must finish 375 clinical hours prior to your graduation from the master's program. These hours cannot be completed if you are not actively enrolled in the program.

Once I finish my degree, are there any other requirements that I must meet?

Yes, you must complete a nine-month clinical fellowship before you are eligible for certification by the American Speech Language and Hearing Association ( During the fellowship, you will work on your own but will have a mentor to evaluate and support you. Clinical fellowships are fully salaried. In many states, you will need a provisional license to work as a clinical fellow. You will also be required to pass the Praxis examination in speech pathology for certification. ( 

How much flexibility is there to choose practicum sites in order to obtain clinical hours?

The Brooks Rehabilitation Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders works closely with many local and regional school districts, hospitals, rehab centers, and private practice locations to provide students with a well-rounded clinical education. In order to fulfill requirements for the program, graduate students must have both pediatric and adult experiences. While we consider student interest in specific sites, placements are assigned based on availability of external supervisors and are at the discretion of the clinical coordinator.

Will I have the opportunity to complete clinical hours in the evenings and/or weekends?

Due to the schedules of supervisors and availability of placements, all clinical practicum experiences will occur during regular business hours.