Frequently Asked Questions Transfer Student Admissions

​​Who is considered a transfer student?

At Jacksonville University, you are considered a transfer student if you have graduated from high school and have earned at least one credit from a regionally accredited college or university with the grade of a C or better (no developmental or remedial courses).

*This does not include students who are dual enrolled or have earned AP, IB or AICE credit while still in high school. If you are a dual enrolled high school student you will apply as a freshman.

You are not required to have your AA degree before you transfer to Jacksonville University.

How do I apply?

We’ve made it easy for you to apply online. Complete the JU undergraduate, transfer application.

After I apply, what other application materials are expected for admission?

Please request an official transcript from each college or university you have attended. Please have the official copy mailed to 2800 University Blvd. North, Jacksonville, FL 32211.

If you have attended a university abroad, we require a WES ( or Silny ( evaluation of that transcript. Please choose the course by course evaluation. Puerto Rican schools and The College of the Bahamas are not required to have this evaluation.

  • If you have fewer than 24 transferrable semester hours, official high school transcripts are needed in addition to college and university transcripts.
  • Fine Arts students are required to be admitted to the University and undergo an audition or portfolio review to be considered for admission into the Fine Arts department.
  • Concealment of previous course work completed at a college or university, whether intentional or not, is cause for cancellation of admission and registration.

I already have my Associate in Arts degree – what does this mean as a JU transfer?

Graduates of a regionally-accredited college or university who have earned an Associate of Arts (AA) degree or Baccalaureate degree (in the case of a second-degree seeking student) should contact the JU Office of Admission for details about the transfer of college credit. In most cases, a regionally-accredited AA or Baccalaureate curriculum satisfies JU’s general education, or core curriculum, requirements.

How will my credits transfer?

  • Academic courses completed at institutions which are approved by a regional accrediting agency are acceptable in transfer provided they are comparable to courses offered at JU and were completed with a grade of “C” (2.0) or better. Classes with a grade earned of “C-” with quality points of fewer than 2.0 are not accepted for transfer credit.
  • Grades recorded as “P” for Pass, “CR” for Credit, etc., will be transferred only if the previous institution’s registrar provides verification that the work was completed with a “C” (2.0) or better grade. A “P” grade will be accepted for transfer for Physical Education Activity classes. Students desiring transfer credit for courses completed at another institution may be required to provide a copy of the catalog from that institution so that an evaluation of transfer credit may be made. Transfer credit for nursing courses counted toward BSN major requirements must be approved by nursing faculty.
  • Credit may be granted for Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Aviation certificates if the holder is enrolled in one of the aviation programs. Occupational/vocational college-level courses are not generally accepted as transfer credit at Jacksonville University.
  • Any work transferred to Jacksonville University will be entered on the JU transcript as hours earned only and will not be used in computation of the grade point average.
  • A maximum of 60 semester hours of transfer credit will be accepted from community college. A maximum of 90 credits hours of transfer credit will be accepted from a 4 year college or university.
  • The final 30 semester hours toward a bachelor’s degree must be completed at Jacksonville University.

When an undergraduate student submits official transcripts and is admitted, the credits are evaluated for transferability to Jacksonville University. Each graduate program director evaluates transfer credit for students in their program.

Limited or provisional credit also may be accepted from specialized or special purpose institutions, including the United States Armed Services, provided the work is applicable to JU undergraduate degree programs and is recommended in appropriate publications of the American Council on Education. Please provide the Office of Admission with an official transcript.

Are transfer students eligible for scholarships?

Students are automatically reviewed for an academic merit scholarship from Jacksonville University during the review of your application. Merit scholarships for transfer students range up to $17,500 per year. Your scholarship amount will be determined by your overall cumulative gpa in your college coursework. If you have less than 24 college credits we would base your scholarship amount off of your high school gpa. Members of Phi Theta Kappa honor society who can provide us with a copy of their certificate.

We also encourage students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at (our school code is 001495).

Which of my previous college courses will transfer over as JU Credit?

Once students have been admitted (with official transcripts) and have paid the $500 enrollment deposit, a formal Transfer Evaluation Report (TER) is created. JU awards credit for college or university level classes completed with a C or better (no developmental or remedial classes). Some classes may transfer in as elective credit rather than credit for a core or major requirement. The previous college must be regionally accredited for JU to consider awarding transfer credits.

What are the next steps if I am admitted?

  1. Be on the lookout for an e-mail about subscribing to “our School App” site. This is a social networking site for prospective and current JU students and staff. This will also be your primary method of finding a roommate, so it is important to join!
  2. Visit campus. If you have not already visited Jacksonville University’s beautiful campus, you may RSVP online. Within this form, you may also make special requests, such as meeting with a financial aid counselor, meeting with a professor or sitting in on a class.
  3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our school code is 001495. Once our financial aid office has received your FAFSA information, they will create a comprehensive financial package for you. You will receive your comprehensive financial aid package by mail. You may also reach them at 904-256-7060.
  4. Submit your $500 enrollment deposit. You may submit your payment online in your application portal. You may also call us with your credit card number to submit a payment over the phone. If you are using military benefits, your deposit may be waived if your benefits provide you with 100% coverage of your tuition. Please check with our VA Office for more details at 904-256-7638.

What happens after The Office of Admissions has received your tuition deposit?

You will receive your Jacksonville University username and password by e-mail, usually within 72 hours. This will allow you access to:

  • Make an appointment with academic advising to register for classes. You will receive an e-mail from the academic advising office, but if you need to contact them at any time, you may call them at 904-256-7170 or e-mail them at
  • Complete the housing application. The housing application is available February 1st for students entering in the fall and October 1st for students entering in the spring. For questions about housing, you may contact the Office of Residential Life at 904-256-7538.

Don’t forget to:

  • Complete the immunization form.
  • Submit official, final transcripts after you have graduated from high school. If you are a transfer student and have fewer than 24 transferrable college credits, we will also require an official, final high school transcript.
  • Submit your official, final college transcript if you are dual enrolled or if you are a transfer student.
  • Submit official exam scores from AP, IB, AICE and CLEP programs.
  • Check your e-mail frequently for the most updated information about orientation, housing, advising, etc.

​Request Information ​Apply To JU